Engineering and Wharton junior Dave Wessels was named next year's chairperson of the Student Activities Council by SAC leadership last night. The appointment was announced last night after an hour-long deliberation by the members of the steering committee who were elected last week. College junior Felicia Maddox will serve as vice-chairperson, Wharton junior Kevin Wong as finance liaison, College sophomore Brandon Fitzgerald as UA liaison and College junior Hae Kyung Park as Houston Hall Board liaison. Wessels said last night he looks for the new leadership to govern the body similar to this year's administration, but added that he hopes SAC will address several issues which may improve the way the body functions. "I do think there is room for improvement," Wessels said. "The SAC body is so large right now that discussion rarely happens." But Wessels added that he wants any changes which would affect SAC to be made by SAC and said he is not in favor of a continuation of the constitutional convention to determine the future of student government. "Rather than have the constitutional convention decide what SAC is going to be, SAC will decide what we are going to be," he said. But he added that if the conventions resume next year, a representative from SAC steering committee will "definitely take a role." Greg Shufro, the outgoing SAC vice-chairperson, said he is "very optimistic" about the new board. Unlike previous boards, each of the members of this year's administration has previous SAC leadership experience. Wessels was a member of this year's steering committee, while Fitzgerald, Maddox, Park and Wong have all served on SAC's finance committee. Members said this previous experience will enable them to serve SAC better. "Experience will benefit us all," Wessels said. "Having four former finance people on the committee will be exceptional." Shufro agreed, saying "there is a need for continuity, and [their experience] will make the group run better." SAC steering makes recommendations to the SAC body when student groups wish to be recognized or re-recognized by SAC. Only SAC recognized groups are eligible for SAC funding. Last month's full SAC meeting was the last one at which student groups could apply for recognition, with the new steering committee taking over this responsibility next fall. The committee also makes emergency funding decisions when the entire SAC body cannot be called. The new SAC committee took over this duty immediately after being selected last Tuesday. Wessels said last night that no group came to the steering committee this week for emergency funding, nor does he expect any to do so before the next meeting. The committee's first official duty will be running this month's SAC meeting, but, unlike past years, they will co-administer the meeting with the outgoing steering committee, to ensure that the meeting runs smoothly.