The University finally made it back to the NCAA basketball tournament. Thursday night at the Palestra, site of the NCAA women's basketball East Regional, the Penn Band played and cheered the Clemson Tigers to a 57-55 victory over James Madison University. The Penn Band was hired by Clemson University, and its musical mercenaries became the Clemson Band for both Thursday night's victory and Saturday night's loss to the Connecticut Huskies, according to Penn Band Secretary Howard Berkenblit. "Early in the week, Clemson University contacted our band and said it was too expensive for them to send their band [to the games]," the College junior said. "We worked together with the cheerleaders to cheer for Clemson, so to speak, with music and cheers," Berkenblit said. "Everyone got really into it and we were cheering for the Clemson Tigers . . . which is strange since we're not used to cheering for the Tigers [Princeton University's mascot]." The band was armed with "neat Clemson stuff," such as Clemson T-shirts, megaphones, pom-poms -- the Clemson version of Quaker Shakers -- and giant tiger claws. In fact, the band looked so authentic that most people at the games believed that they were the real Clemson thing. "Most people in the stadium didn't know we were the Penn Band," said Wharton senior Brian Stifel. "The other bands certainly [did not know]." Aside from minor problems coordinating with the cheerleaders, one small mistake may have given away the band's little charade, he said. "We played a song that ended up being their rival team's fight song," said Stifel. "That was very funny. We didn't know any better." Now seasoned veterans of the NCAA tournament, the Penn Band is ready and willing to make a return appearance. If only the team's colors could be red and blue . . .