Democratic mayoral candidate and self-proclaimed political outsider Peter Hearn is betting that Philadelphia is ready for a change. With the city's financial troubles and crime problems, Hearn and several of his opponents feel that the voters are ready to turn out the traditional politicians in exchange for a fresh face. But Hearn's name is not entirely new -- to the University, or to much of the city. He graduated from the Law School in 1961 and recently served as the Chancellor of the Philadelphia Bar Association. Hearn, a white-haired man with a strong background as a prominent Philadelphia lawyer, operates his campaign headquaters in a suite high above Broad Street, practically in the shadow of the building he hopes to occupy next year. Continually seeking to distance himself from political games, Hearn emphasized that he is not a politician by nature and said he has no political aspirations beyond mayor -- which he said is a selling point for voters who have tired of political climbers. "I don't want to be governor," Hearn said earlier this year. "I have one aspiration politically -- to win as mayor." But Hearn has faced political realities, and is working to build a base of support in all neighborhoods across the city. He said this plan is in contrast with other candidates who are "rounding up the same old tired supporters." Hearn, like virtually every other candidate, said he will examine the possibility of charging the University, and similar tax-exempt institutions, user fees in lieu of taxes. But Hearn also said that he would consider other options to increase revenue. He said it is important for the city to avoid alienating the University which he said provides important services to the city and serves as "an economic catalyst" for the surrounding community. "We have to be careful we don't throw the baby out with the bathwater," Hearn said. His proposals to ameliorate the city's financial crisis include reducing labor costs by privatizing some services and working with the current labor force to enhance productivity. Hearn also emphasized the importance of having a mayor and a city council who can work together. The current city council is "practically holding the mayor hostage," Hearn said. Hearn also has a background in fighting drugs as a co-founder of Gaudenzia House, an early treatment drug program. Furthermore, he proposes to increase resources to fight crime and said he wants to establish a "drug court" with half of the funds allocated for treatment. Finally, Hearn emphasized the importance of a mayor who can build morale in the city and give the voters faith in the government they elect. "People feel trapped if they see their principal asset, their house, going down in value," Hearn said. "They want to get out but they can't sell it."