Residential Maintenance may find itself in hot water with students today as workers shut off service to High Rise East for the second time this semester. Alan Zuino, Residential Maintenance associate director, said yesterday that the building's steam line will be shut down from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. so that maintenance workers can repair two valves that regulate steam pressure. Zuino said that after workers discovered the malfunctioning valves in a routine inspection two days ago, Residential Maintenance tried to plan the repairs to inconvenience students as little as possible. "We are always concerned with allowing the residents to get their morning showers and get off to class," he said. "We've found over the years that a 9 a.m. start is a reasonable start, and we need those six or seven hours to do our work." Utilities service on West Campus has been interrupted several other times this semester. In addition to other shutdowns, all six buildings lost hot water for 12 hours this month and all water was shut off without warning in High Rise North September 27. Edward Gordon, operational services assistant for West Campus, said yesterday that his office does not receive many complaints when services are disrupted in the high rises. He added that those who do call are usually satisfied with an explanation of the problem. "Most people realize that the work has to be done," he said. "Obviously, no one likes waking up and realizing that if they want hot water; they'll have to get up before 9 to get it." Zuino said he could not predict if other disruptions will occur this semester, adding that various parts of the water system -- from a building's main supply line to a single water pump -- can cause difficulties. Students said last night the repeated shutdowns are an inconvenience. Wharton junior Margaret Arakawa said she was making plans not to be in the heatless building today, adding that this shutdown will not be as bad at the last one, which lasted 12 hours. "Last time, since the water was off for such a long time, I was seriously considering going off campus to take a shower," she said. "If it really, really is necessary, then it's fine," said College senior Lisa Broadwell. "But if it's something that could have been prevented, it's upsetting." And College senior Lyenochka Djakov said the disruptions are becoming too common. "It seems like they do this a lot," said Djakov. "It's a pain. . . I think it would be better to do it in the afternoon."