Light blue trash bags and Greek letters dotted the streets around the University yesterday as approximately 100 fraternity and sorority members participated in Greek Week's "Clean-a-Walk-a-thon." During the hour-long event, Greek students cleared up debris cluttering 60 blocks in and around the campus, while raising money for a local shelter through pledges they collected over the past month. Students participating in the cleanup said yesterday that the large turnout is another sign of a growing awareness among Greek members for the need for more community service projects. Phi Sigma Sigma sorority member Patty Grossi said yesterday afternoon that the event was a good opportunity "to unite together with other Greeks to do some good for the community." The money that students will receive from pledges will be donated to the People's Emergency Center, a local shelter that serves as a soup kitchen and day care for Philadelphia's homeless. The socially conscious theme of Greek Week surprised some students who were hoping for a festive atmosphere. Phi Sig Sig member Aryn Sobo said that many students expected to see the playful side of the Greek system, such as the stereotypical togas, and were not prepared when the Greek Week committee addressed serious community issues. "This year we wanted, instead of playing tug of war on Superblock, to put our efforts into something that won't benefit just the Greek system," the College senior said. Added Alpha Epsilon Pi fraternity brother David Hecht, "[We want people to] see that Greeks are just like everyone else -- we care." Greek Week continues today with a Greek-Faculty reception this afternoon. Other upcoming events include "Meet the Greeks" day on Locust Walk tomorrow, and a Greek Olympiad on Saturday afternoon.