Corporate representatives from Unisys and McNeil Consumer Products combined with writing experts for the workshop, called "Bridging the Gap: Academic and Professional Writing." The workshop focused on discovering what kind of business writing is effective, and discussing how business writing skills can be taught in the college classroom, before students enter the job market. "Many people think a letter, memo, report, proposal, or any other written document that needs improvement needs only word changes," said Jack Selzer, president of the Association of Teachers of Technical Writing. "In fact, the process by which these documents are created is as important as the final product." University officials have also recognized a need for more effective written communication in the business world. The Human Resource Center's Department of Training and Organizational Development hosts two writing seminars. "Writing for Results" is geared toward business administrators and managers who wish to improve their writing style. "English for Effective Business Communications" concentrates heavily on grammar, punctuation, and other technical aspects of writing. And the College of General Studies offers "Words at Work," a non-credit course taught by Janet Falon, a freelance writer in the Philadelphia area. It will meet on three consecutive Mondays beginning October 29. -- Elie Landau