11-03-23-ramanan-raghavendran-ethan-young
Ramanan Raghavendran was named Chair of the Board of Trustees on Jan. 4. Credit: Ethan Young

Recently appointed Board of Trustees chair Ramanan Raghavendran outlined his goals for the University, discussed how his background at Penn will inform his new role, and welcomed students back to campus in a written Q&A with The Daily Pennsylvanian.

Raghavendran is a 1989 Engineering and Wharton graduate and 2015 LPS graduate who has served as School of Arts and Sciences Board of Advisors chair since 2012. He was named chair of the Board on Jan. 4, following the unprecedented resignations of former Board of Trustees Chair Scott Bok and former Penn President Liz Magill in December of last year.

In the Q&A, Raghavendran described areas of focus for the Board of Trustees over the next year and shared his vision for how the University's leadership and constituencies will move forward into the spring semester.

Raghavendran highlighted two central goals for the Board of Trustees this year: “returning the focus to Penn’s academic mission” and “ensuring a safe campus where academic freedom coexists with civil discourse.”

When considering the first goal, he emphasized achievements led by Penn’s faculty, students, staff, and alumni across academic fields. He referenced Penn Medicine researchers Drew Weissman and Katalin Karikó’s Nobel Prize for mRNA research as a recent example.

“I’d like to get everyone’s focus back on our teaching and research, for that is where our purpose lies,” he wrote.

Regarding academic freedom, Raghavendranvan discussed the importance of many perspectives coexisting on campus.

“Students, faculty, and staff will have thousands of different opinions on just about anything — and the ability to articulate those opinions without fear or favor is an integral part of what makes for a great American university,” he wrote. “At the same time, we simply cannot have a campus where anyone is afraid to be who they are.”

Reflecting on his time as a student at Penn, Raghavendran wrote that many students leave with a  “one-dimensional” view of the University. In contrast, he wrote that he had "the great fortune of seeing Penn in many dimensions,” which makes it easier for him to “be a citizen of the University as a whole.”

Since he assumed his SAS Board chair position, Raghavendran has held several roles within the University. He has been a Trustee since 2014, serving as the Local, National, and Global Engagement Committee chair. He is also the Global Coordinator of the Penn Alumni Ambassador Program.

Raghavendran highlighted how his past volunteer work has allowed him to build alumni networks across the country and the world.

“That lens on our alumni community is also of great help at this time,” he wrote. 

Raghavendran also expressed support for Interim President Larry Jameson as he navigates the “enduring complexities of achieving balance.” 

“Our current president has the word ‘interim’ in his title because of the circumstances under which he assumed the position,” Raghavendran wrote. “But he is our president, and we are very, very lucky to have him.”

When asked about the search for a permanent president, which the Board of Trustees oversees, Raghavendran affirmed his belief that the search committee will find “great candidates.”

“Penn is an extraordinary institution, and for the right person, will be an extraordinary opportunity,” he added. 

Last semester, donor voices played a prominent role in shifts in administrative leadership. Acknowledging the many constituencies at Penn, Raghavendran explained that “while there are disagreements, there is also much unity, especially around a desire to see Penn move forward.”

Raghavendran also acknowledged the administrative turnover and conflict on campus last semester, describing “a time of societal conflict that goes far beyond our University and is amplified by instantaneous social media.”

“Yet, in such a time, Penn endures and thrives,” he wrote. 

Raghavendran added that he hoped the spring term would be filled with “students having passionate discussions; researchers producing knowledge; professors continuing to hope that students might actually show up for office hours; and our amazing staff keeping the whole enterprise running.”

Beyond Penn, Raghavendran is the co-founder of venture capital firm Amasia and has more than 30 years of experience in venture capital and growth equity. He is also involved in the nonprofit and philanthropic sector,  including as the co-founder of Impact Partners, the first Indian venture philanthropy fund. He remains associated with Magic Bus, an NGO assisting at-risk children across India.