10-28-23-benjamin-franklin-statue-julia-nguyen
1962 Wharton graduate Stewart Colton and his wife, Judith Colton, gave the University an unrestricted $1 million donation. Credit: Julia Nguyen

Penn announced on Dec. 20 that it received an unrestricted $1 million donation from 1962 Wharton graduate Stewart Colton and his wife, Judith Colton — intended to support Penn in light of leadership changes.

Since 2021, the Coltons have donated over $60 million to Penn — which was used to fund the establishment of the Colton Center for Autoimmunity. With this Center, Penn became part of the Colton Consortium which includes New York University, Yale University, and Tel Aviv University. According to Penn Medicine News, the Consortium aims to “leverage complementary strengths at each institution to collectively elevate the field of autoimmunity.” 

The University is entirely able to decide how to use the $1 million due to its structure as an unrestricted donation.

In a press release, Stewart Colton said that he was focused on supporting Interim President J. Larry Jameson and the University after Jameson’s appointment.

“As a physician, Larry is naturally oriented toward healing, and I see this as an important moment for us to come together,” Stewart Colton wrote. 

Colton also wrote that he hopes his donation will encourage others to financially support Penn, writing "I believe in creating goodwill with our philanthropy, and I offered this gift, hoping that it will serve as a catalyst for others to contribute in the months ahead.”

In a statement, President Jameson expressed his gratitude for the donation, and said that he was “humbled by their support.” 

He acknowledged the challenging moment for the University and the gift’s significance for the future.  

“This has been an enormously challenging time for Penn and, as we undertake the important work of this moment and look to a stronger future, a gift like this is impactful and encouraging to all who care about our University.” 

The donation follows Penn losing a number of donors in late 2023 under Magill's leadership, including Ronald Lauder and Jon Huntsman Jr. In a letter and email to Magill, Lauder and Huntsman wrote that they were displeased with the University’s response to the Oct. 7 Hamas Attack, among other issues.