kevin_mahoney
Kevin Mahoney currently serves as Executive Vice President and Chief Administrative Officer for the University of Pennsylvania Health System, as well as Executive Vice Dean for Integrative Services for the Perelman School of Medicine.

Longtime Penn Medicine administrator Kevin Mahoney was named the next CEO of the University of Pennsylvania Health System on Wednesday. He will begin leading the $7.8 billion health system on July 1.

Mahoney, who has worked for Penn Med since 1996, currently serves as Executive Vice President and Chief Administrative Officer for the University of Pennsylvania Health System, as well as Executive Vice Dean for Integrative Services for the Perelman School of Medicine. He will succeed Ralph Muller, who has served as Penn Med's CEO since 2003.

The announcement was made in a press release Wednesday by Penn President Amy Gutmann and J. Larry Jameson, Executive Vice President of the University of Pennsylvania for the Health System and Dean of the Perelman School of Medicine. 

"[Mahoney] was an early and strong contributor to our campus-wide efforts to make innovation part of Penn’s and Penn Medicine’s DNA,” Jameson said in the press release. "Kevin is a champion for the ideas that will become tomorrow’s cures, supporting everything from small-scale start-up efforts to larger commercialization agreements and industry partnerships that are mapping what the future of health care will look like.”

In these roles, Mahoney has helped plan and execute the construction of the Pavilion at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, a $1.5 billion hospital building set to open in 2021. He previously developed the plan for the Ruth and Raymond Perelman Center for Advanced Medicine and the Roberts Proton Therapy Center, which, along with other Penn facilities, became the nation's first building to integrate education, research, and clinical care. 

Mahoney also helped implement a shared electronic health record system across Penn's hospitals and outpatient systems, the only comprehensive system of its kind in the region. 

He previously served as Executive Director of Penn’s primary care physician network and CEO of Phoenixville Hospital.

“My appointment as the next CEO of UPHS is humbling, and I am truly excited by this opportunity," Mahoney said in the press release. "Having worked at Penn Medicine for 23 years, I have seen first-hand the miracles performed by our faculty, physicians and staff. I know our best days are ahead with even more breakthrough treatments and the continued evolution of patient-centered care."