Football_Feature_Copeland

After missing the entire 2017 season due to a pectoral injury, 2013 Penn graduate and linebacker Brandon Copeland is back in the NFL, having signed a contract with the Jets. (File Photo)

One former Penn football star is getting ready for life in the NFL, but the career of another ex-Quaker just got a big boost.

On Monday, it was announced that former Penn football linebacker and 2013 graduate Brandon Copeland signed with the New York Jets

Copeland played all 16 games of the 2015 and 2016 seasons for the Detroit Lions', during which time he registered 30 tackles and a forced fumble. During last year’s preseason, though, he suffered a pectoral tear and was ruled out for the entire season.

The Sykesville, Md. native was a standout at Penn, captaining the 2012 Penn football team to an Ivy League title. His many accolades included being named to the All-Ivy first team three times in his four years with the Red and Blue.

After his career as a Quaker, Copeland declared for the 2013 NFL Draft and subsequently signed with the Baltimore Ravens as a free agent. After being released before the season, he joined the Tennessee Titans’ practice squad.

In early 2015, Copeland had a brief stint in the Arena Football League with the Orlando Predators, and in April of that year, he signed a contract with the Lions after participating in the NFL Veterans Combine.

Active for the first time since the end of the 2016 season, he will look to make an impact right away for the Jets, who are coming off a disappointing 5-11 record last season and a last place finish in the AFC East.

Copeland is one of four ex-Quakers currently on an NFL roster, in addition to Ryan O’Malley of the Giants, Alek Torgersen of the Lions, and Greg Van Roten of the Panthers.