46419_police_brutality_pennf
Credit: Shreyans Bhansali

A student at Drexel University reported at approximately 7 a.m. on Saturday that she was sexually assaulted in her apartment on the 3400 block of Race Street, just north of the Penn Police patrol zone. 

Penn's Division of Public Safety sent out a safety alert to members of the Penn community at 4:15 p.m. According to the email, Drexel Police alerted Penn Police of the reported assault. 

The woman reported that the assault occurred at roughly 6 a.m. that morning in her first floor apartment, according to a safety advisory posted at 1:20 p.m. by Drexel's Department of Public Safety. It stated that the assaulter likely entered her apartment through an unlocked door. 

The notice to the Penn community indicated that Penn Police officers and Allied Barton security officials will be increasing their patrols in the area. 

DPS did not respond to immediate request for comment.

Drexel's advisory described the assailant as an intoxicated black man between 20 to 30 years old. It stated that he was roughly 5 feet 8 inches tall with a "heavy build, medium complexion, short hair, [and] short beard." He was described as wearing jeans, boots, and a green hooded sweatshirt. 

According to Drexel's alert, the man told the victim that his name was "Reek Johnson" and did not use a weapon. 

The Philadelphia Police Department's Special Victims Unit is investigating this incident. No arrests have been made.

A spokesperson for Philadelphia Police Department's SVU said they did not wish to comment on the case at this time.  

"The Department of Public Safety is encouraging members of the community to be on heightened awareness of their surroundings, walk in groups and well-lit public areas, and make sure no personal belongings of value are visible," Drexel's advisory post read.

"Make sure vehicles and residences are locked and secured."