trump

Pictured here at a campaign rally in Manchester, N.H., President Donald Trump has undoubtedly become Penn's most notable alumnus. 

Credit: Ilana Wurman

It’s logical that Democrats would be upset that President-elect, Donald Trump, seized the presidency on Tuesday, but even some Republicans at Penn supporting Hillary Clinton were shocked and upset over their own party’s victory.

Executive Director of College Republicans and College senior, Matthew Shapiro, supported Clinton as a way to stop Trump, who he believes is racist, sexist and Islamophobic. He was stunned at Trump’s victory and is pessimistic about the future of the country.

“I’m sad in the sense that we live in America and we have millions of women, millions of Muslims, millions of Jewish people, millions of people who identify as LGTBQ that are uncomfortable with their president now,” he said.

Republican and College senior, Jordan Rosman, thinks Trump is a demagogue and knew that the only way to stop him was to cast a vote for Clinton. Like Shapiro, Rosman doesn’t have high hopes for the immediate future of the country during Trump’s presidency.

“I’m definitely pessimistic in the short run. If he is not impeached or resigns, I think the next four years will be very bad for this country... I think it is going to be a particularly toxic atmosphere. And I think the economy will go down in the next four years under a Trump presidency,” Rosman said.

Some pro-Clinton Republicans are more optimistic. Staunchly anti-Trump Republican and College freshman, Sigal Spitzer, supported Clinton until the end, but is not as devastated by the Democratic nominee’s loss as others are.

“Because I am a Republican at heart, I am more optimistic than others,” she said.

Former Marco Rubio supporter and College sophomore, Jeremy Shechter, shared Spitzer’s sentiments.

“Who knows what he’ll do as president? I think he’ll step into a role and be fine, and I think he’ll adjust to who he needs to be,” Shechter said.

Despite their discontent with the President-elect, Republicans are happy about their party’s congressional win. Rosman was pleased with their victory.

“I do think that there are many smart Republicans in the Senate and House. They may as well come from different parties as Donald Trump,” he said.

Former Chair of Penn for Kasich and College senior Joe Kiernan split his ticket, voting for Clinton and otherwise Republicans down the line. He is happy about the Republicans’ congressional victories but is nervous for the future of the party.

“I think that the Republican party is going to have to do some soul searching,” he said.

Kiernan is afraid that Trump’s galvanizing effects will shift the direction of the party, bringing it more to the left economically and making it more nationalistic. However, he hopes reasonable voices in Congress will help temper Trump.

Shapiro also has a positive attitude about his party’s congressional wins. He believes that they, unlike Trump, embody true conservative values.

“Donald Trump and the things he said don’t represent the views of average Republicans. And I hope that going forward we can move our party in the direction of tolerance and hope,” he said.