spec

Tory Lanez will be performing at The Rotunda on Nov. 5 along with Cousin Stizz and Spzrkt. | Courtesy of Nena Earl/Wikimedia Commons

Credit: , ,

Three up-and-coming artists — Cousin Stizz, SPZRKTand Tory Lanez — will hit the Rotunda for a performance on Nov. 5.

The Social Planning and Events Committee to Represent Undergraduate Minorities joined forces with the SPEC Jazz & Grooves team to organize the event. The two groups have put together successful shows together in the past by bringing in entertainers such as Father and Kaytranada.

“With this show, we really wanted to brand ourselves and let people know what we’re really about,” College senior and SPEC-Trum Director Kelechi Okereke said. “We wanted to do something more appealing to a wider demographic of our students.”

Various branches of SPEC have also organized concerts, speaker events, the annual Spring Fling and comedy shows with big names like Kevin Hart and Aziz Ansari.

Okelechi said SPEC-TRUM is known for bringing onto campus musicians who are about to blow up, such as Kendrick Lamar, Chance the Rapper and Travis Scott. He noted that the back-to-back events with Serena Williams speaking at the college on Nov. 4 and the concert happening the next day was an effort to remind the Penn community what SPEC does.

Tory Lanez, an artist from Toronto, will headline the show as part of his Swave Nation Tour. Lanez both sings and raps and has toured this fall with performers like Mac Miller and Young Thug. His most recent EP is called “Cruel Intentions,” which earned him critical acclaim. He holds a No. 1 spot on Billboard’s emerging artists list. One of Lanez’s hit singles, “Say It,” was recently covered by Ed Sheeran.

“We want people to come to the show because these artists are going to be top-notch,” College junior and SPEC-Trum Director Jonathan Muruako said. “Our concert brings people together over music.”

Cousin Stizz likes to get his audience dancing with his raw, high-energy style of rap. On the other hand, SPZRKT is more soulful with a solid beat production. SPZRKT has a mix tape with Sango, which was released through Soulection, a record label that once came to Penn.

Student tickets will be sold for $10 on Locust Walk throughout the week of Oct. 26 and will cost $15 dollars at the door. The public will pay $20 for a ticket.