img_0992

When the anonymous polling app WhatsGoodly came to campus, it caused controversy for claims of cyberbullying. Some of the more offensive posts have also been racially charged. 

There have been several polls asking both boys and girls questions regarding their dating preferences for race, something one Wharton freshman, who has been the target of a racially-charged poll, finds incredibly troubling.

“I think it's racist because sometimes questions directly ask you to preference one race over another, or questions are posed in a way that degrade certain races,” the Wharton freshman, who wished to remain anonymous because of fear of social alienation, said.

She feels that the culture at Penn plays a large part in the types of questions that get posted.

“As the majority race at Penn is white, I don't think it's a coincidence that there are very few posts about white people as a racial group,” the freshman said.

Despite the negative aspects of WhatsGoodly, she still feels there are people who use it in a non-offensive way.

“I think there are a lot of people who do use the app to pose non-offensive questions," she said. Still, in terms of the number of people who write offensive posts, she said, "I would say the majority do. “ 

Other polling questions range from questions like "Which downtown should I attend?" to "What should I eat for dinner?"

Though WhatsGoodly has certainly gained popularity at Penn, some students feel the humorous content can also be hurtful.

“While some of the things on it are amusing, there are so many things on there that can be hurtful and offensive,” Wharton Sophomore Madeline Su said.