01302003_pottruck_a05
The Pottruck Fitness Center, now completely constructed with four floors draws a large crowd of lifters and university personel. Credit: Chau Lam , Chau Lam

Penn SHAPE, the fitness competition for graduate students that began last winter, will return to campus this October with a new coordinator and an additional focus mental wellness.

Last academic year, the Graduate and Professional Student Assembly created Penn SHAPE and chose Kilang Yanger, a doctoral candidate in cellular and molecular biology, as coordinator. It was structured around fitness classes and informational workshops held by Penn and local businesses such as Philadelphia Runner. The winners from the four-month long competition was determined by a point system that measured students’ progress from beginning to end.

However, the challenge isn’t all about the competition.

According to Yanger, “The goal of the program is for students to become more aware of holistic wellness.” This is something she hoped would come as a result of informational classes, such as sessions with Counseling and Psychological Services about mental health and body image. However, this goal was often overshadowed by the push to lose weight.

Related: Just say yes – to less mental stress

This is exactly what Charlotte Rose, a doctoral candidate in the Near Eastern Languages and Civilizations department and the new coordinator of Penn SHAPE, wants to focus on.

“[The program] will have generally the same theme, but I want to stress participation in workshops over the final assessment — to up the education factor,” said Rose.

Taking the year-long position on a volunteer basis, Rose knew she wanted to become involved in a fitness program for graduate students after seeing how hard it was for her to remain healthy during her own exams.

Another aspect of the program that can help students achieve their health goals is its social benefit. Rose described graduate students as often “living in their own bubble,” and Yanger stressed how helpful Penn SHAPE can be in fixing this — “It’s a more sustained, connected program that helps students build friendships organically,” Yanger said.

If intrinsic motivations are not enough, the competition also offers prizes. Last year, the winners for both male and female categories received $500 towards any fitness equipment of their choosing, from bike helmets to juicers.

With the registration date for the competition just around the corner on September 29, many first-time competitors are eager to start working toward their goals.

Related: Quaker visits local school to promote Fitness for Life program

Rebekkah Merrell, a second year Dental Medicine student, had a job with a lot of traveling before coming to Penn that forced her to eat out for every meal.

“I’m trying to make healthier choices. I should’ve signed up last year—I’m really into achieving my fitness goals and maintaining a healthy life and I think Penn SHAPE will help me do this,” Merrell said.

To Merrell, “It’s more or less feeling good about myself and trying to be healthy while achieving physical goals I never thought would be possible.”

Sharon Aradine, a second-year dental student who participated last spring and won in the female category also wants more of an emphasis on health education. She said she would have loved to see “more seminars geared towards body image, maybe in the beginning — more of an emotional or mental support system.”

Rather than competing again in the fall, Aradine said, “I want to be around to try and facilitate a more sociable atmosphere and to encourage others to get going. You’ve got to have a ton of mental fortitude to make it through, and you have to find a way to stay motivated and focus on your goals.”