12182012_sandyhookvigilhillel012

Students lit candles during a vigil for the victims of Newtown, Connecticut this morning. The vigil will remain up at Hillel for the rest of the day and students are encouraged to stop by.

Photo: Amanda Suarez / The Daily Pennsylvanian

During the last few days of finals, campus was as quiet as one might expect. But silence took on a new meaning for those who gathered at a memorial vigil for the victims of the Newtown tragedy.

Sitting together in mourning on the first floor of Hillel, about 15 students were led in prayer by Maytal Saltiel, Hillel’s Repair the World coordinator. One by one, students lit candles in remembrance of the victims of Sandy Hook Elementary.

The memorial will be on display on the first floor of Hillel for the remainder of the day. All are invited to stop by and add their thoughts and prayers.

The Office of the Chaplain and Office of the Vice Provost for University Life have also set up a memorial banner in Houston Hall. All who wish to send their thoughts and well wishes are encouraged to come by and sign. The banner will be sent to Sandy Hook Elementary School families at the end of the week.

12182012_sandyhookvigilhillel007
Photo By Amanda Suarez

Students gather in Hillel for a vigil in remembrance of the victims of the Sandy Hook tragedy.

/ The Daily Pennsylvanian
12182012_sandyhookvigilhillel004
Photo By Amanda Suarez

Maytal Saltiel, coordinator of Repair the World at Penn Hillel, led students in prayer during a candle lighting vigil for the victims of the Sandy Hook tragedy.

/ The Daily Pennsylvanian