Trip south brings third straight loss

Women lose to Maryland, VCU to fall below .500

· February 22, 2010, 5:18 am   ·  Updated February 22, 2010, 12:00 am

Share This

The Penn women’s tennis team was not welcomed with the Southern hospitality they were looking for this weekend.

Instead, Penn got swept by Maryland and experienced a crushing defeat at the hands of No. 29 Virginia Commonwealth. The two losses took the team’s record below .500 for the season.

The Quakers (2-4) traveled to College Park, Md., Saturday looking to avenge last year’s 5-2 loss against the Terrapins.

Instead, the Terps (1-3) took their first win of the season from the Red and Blue, sweeping Penn, 7-0.

Competing in the No. 2 spot, sophomore Emily Wolf was the only member of the Penn team to force a third set against Maryland, taking the second set from Maggie MacKeever 6-2, before falling 6-0 in the tiebreaker.

Penn then headed further south to take on VCU (7-2) in Richmond, Va., yesterday.

Against the Rams, junior Alexa Ely had the sole win for the Red and Blue, taking two out of three sets from Ana Bara at the No. 1 spot.

Ely’s win over the Romanian sophomore marks the second year in a row that Penn’s No. 1 has defeated Bara.

The Rams easily downed the rest of the Quakers’ ladder, with Penn never winning more than two games in a set.

Following both losses, the Quakers are now in a three-game skid.

They will have to wait until next Sunday when they host Bucknell at home to try to return to their winning ways.