image0

The 2024 Ivy stone was revealed during Baccalaureate. (Photo from Penn Today)

Penn unveiled the 2024 Ivy Stone design on Tuesday at the annual Baccalaureate ceremony.

The 2024 Ivy Stone resembles a postage stamp with the engraving of an ivy branch alongside “Class of 2024” and “Penn” in the corners of the design. The 2024 Ivy Stone was revealed at the Baccalaureate ceremony in Irvine Auditorium instead of at Ivy Day — as is tradition — to increase the visibility of the stone. 

Penn changed the reveal location of the Ivy Stone to allow more students to view the official stone. Attendees also received commemorative pins bearing the likeness of their class stone.

By showcasing the stone at the Baccalaureate ceremony instead of Ivy Day, “more people are going to have a connection to [the stone], which is exciting,” said Associate Director of Activities in the Office of Student Affairs Rodney Robinson.

Robinson has advised class boards on the stone procurement process since 1999. The senior Class Board members oversee a competition open to seniors to design their class stone.

The postage stamp design of this year’s awardee — graduating Wharton senior Vereta Gour — is emblematic of the Class of 2024’s “signing off” and intent to stay in touch. 

Penn’s adoption of the Ivy Day traditions began in 1873, marking the campus’s relocation to West Philadelphia and the construction of College Hall, the first building on the new campus. Since then, each graduating class at Penn has placed a one-by-two-foot stone on campus to commemorate their time at the University. 

Today, nearly 200 Ivy Stones are installed on walkways and the exteriors of buildings across campus.