sarah-e-light-photo-from-wharton

Wharton professor Sarah Light has been appointed as the inaugural Mitchell J. Blutt and Margo Krody Blutt Presidential Professor (Photo from the Wharton School). 

Sarah Light has been appointed as the inaugural Mitchell J. Blutt and Margo Krody Blutt Presidential Professor at the Wharton School.

Presidential professorships aim to help Penn attract and retain accomplished scholars and recognize their contributions. The Wharton appointment is one of three such professorships at Penn, with the other two housed in the School of Arts and Sciences and the Perelman School of Medicine. 

Light, a professor of legal studies and business ethics, has been a faculty member at Wharton since 2013. Her research focuses on the intersections between climate policy and private environmental policy and has appeared in publications such as the Stanford Law Review and the Duke Law Journal. She also serves as faculty co-director of the Wharton Climate Center. 

Light received her bachelor's degree in social studies from Harvard University. Afterward, she earned an M.Phil from Oxford University as a Rhodes Scholar before earning her J.D. from Yale Law School.

Following law school, Light clerked for Judge John M. Walker Jr. of the United States Second Circuit Court of Appeals before serving for nearly a decade as an assistant U.S attorney for the Southern District of New York. Before coming to Penn, she also held academic positions at Princeton University, Columbia University, Fordham Law School, and Brooklyn Law School.

“The Presidential professorship recognizes and supports Professor Sarah Light’s pathbreaking research and teaching, which explores critical connections between business and law and addressing climate change,” Interim President Larry Jameson said in the announcement

Light’s position was made possible by the 1978 College graduate, 1982 School of Medicine graduate, and 1987 Wharton MBA graduate Mitchell Blutt and his wife Margo Blutt. The Blutts have supported a wide range of initiatives at Penn, ranging from research to cultural enrichment.

Mitchell Blutt is the founder and CEO of Consonance Capital, a health care investment firm. Blutt serves on the Wharton Board of Advisors and is an emeritus member of the School of Arts and Sciences Board of Advisors. Blutt has previously served on Penn's Board of Trustees and the Penn Medicine board. 

“It has been a joy for us to be able to create, fortify, and enhance worthy causes across Penn, from formative student experiences to backing faculty and, through them, their research,” Mitchell Blutt said in the announcement.