dsc05023
Credit: Anna Vazhaeparambil

Follow more live updates from the 'Gaza Solidarity Encampment' here.

Penn opened disciplinary cases into at least three students participating in the Gaza Solidarity Encampment on College Green.

A University spokesperson wrote in a statement to The Daily Pennsylvanian that Penn has “clearly communicated” that encampment participants “are in violation of the University’s policies.” The University is “checking IDs in accordance with Penn’s Open Expression Guidelines,” according to the statement.

The spokesperson added that “several student disciplinary cases” have been opened through the Center for Community Standards and Accountability, and that faculty and staff violations “will follow the relevant disciplinary processes.”

“These actions, while unfortunate, are necessary,” the spokesperson wrote.

Earlier, The Philadelphia Inquirer reported that three students involved in organizing for the encampment and the Freedom School for Palestine received disciplinary hearing notices from the University’s Center for Community Standards and Accountability

According to the Guidelines on Open Expression, when the vice provost for University Life or a delegate “declares that an individual or a group has violated the Guidelines, he or she may request to examine their University identification.” Office of Student Affairs Executive Director Katie Bonner, who wore identification as a University Life delegate earlier today, entered the encampment to ask students for their PennCards.

The students received an email from CSA at around 5 p.m. on Monday, according to the Inquirer.

Notice letters are the first step in disciplinary cases against students who have “violated University rules.” The CSA website “strongly recommends” recipients seek an advisor — who can be a “University faculty member, staff member, or student in good academic and disciplinary standing.”

A notice letter does not indicate that the student has been “charged” with anything at this time, according to the University website. A College junior and encampment organizer told the Inquirer that the letters sent on Monday alleged that the three students violated Penn’s Open Expression Guidelines, noting the students’ involvements in “pitching tents, hanging signs, staying on [College Green] overnight” rather than individual actions.

Following the notice letter, CSA conducts disciplinary hearings, witness interviews and documentation review. The organizer told the Inquirer that hearings for all three students are currently scheduled for May 2.

The revelation of disciplinary action comes as Penn’s Gaza Solidarity Encampment is continuing its sixth day on College Green.

At least a dozen “notice of trespass” flyers have been posted on barriers, light poles, and other surfaces within close distance of the encampment. Meanwhile, U-Night, a sophomore tradition that has historically taken place on College Green, has been relocated to the High Rise Green.

In addition, the Committee on Open Expression Chair Lisa Bellini shared “anticipatory guidance” for demonstrations with The Daily Pennsylvanian.