james-johnson-photo-from-penn-alumni
The College of Arts and Sciences announced that James Johnson will be the speaker of the Class of 2024 College graduation ceremony on May 19 (Photo from Penn Alumni).

The College of Arts and Sciences announced that 1974 College and 1977 Penn Carey Law graduate James Johnson, who currently sits on the School of Arts and Sciences Board of Advisors, will speak at the College's Class of 2024 graduation ceremony on May 19. 

Johnson majored in history and went on to earn his J.D. at the University of Pennsylvania Carey Law School, eventually returning to earn a certificate in climate change from the College of Liberal and Professional Studies in 2021. He will be joined at the ceremony by College senior Katie Volpert, who will deliver the student speech. 

Johnson was involved in several student organizations as an undergraduate, including the varsity fencing team and the Black Student League. He spent over a decade serving in various legal support roles at Boeing Company, including as vice president, corporate secretary, and assistant general counsel. He then worked as general counsel for Loop Capital Markets, a Chicago-based investment banking firm, until retiring in 2014. 

Johnson has remained involved in University operations and governance. In addition to SAS Board of Directors, he chairs the College External Advisory Board and was a member of the University Board of Trustees from 2014 to 2018. Outside of Penn, he sits on the board of directors of many companies, including Energizer Holdings, Inc., the Ameren Corporation, Hanesbrands, Inc., and Edgewell Personal Care.

Volpert, who will also address the Class of 2024, studies philosophy and political science with a minor in survey research and data analytics. She is the president of Penn Mock Trial, where she has captained teams to Nationals and won several "Outstanding Attorney" awards. 

Volpert is a Penn Program on Opinion Research and Election Studies fellow and member of Pi Sigma Alpha, the National Political Science Honor Society. Following graduation, she will go to Charlottesville, Virginia, where she will serve as the deputy clerk at the Charlottesville General District Court before eventually applying to law school.

These speakers continue a long tradition of having both College graduates and current students speak at the ceremony. Last year’s speakers were 2010 College graduate and award-winning writer Joshua Bennett and Hoang Le, who was a Wharton senior at the time.