02-24-24-steinberg-dietrich-hall-caleb-crain

Wharton Executive Education will host a live, online program titled People Management for Emerging Leaders from Sept. 3 to Oct. 15, 2024.

Credit: Caleb Crain

Wharton Executive Education will host a live, online leadership program next fall. 

People Management for Emerging Leaders will run from Sept. 3 to Oct. 15, teaching management skills to managers hoping to improve their leadership skills and others hoping to assume managerial roles in the future. It is part of Wharton Executive Education, a program run by the Wharton School that teaches over 100,000 individuals every year.

This new program is a response to a recent article by Forbes, which discussed the lack of proper management experience and training for newly promoted supervisors. 

“Bad supervising really hurts the organization because employees aren’t just going to take it — they’re going to leave,” Program Director Peter Cappelli said. “It’s a tight labor market now, so people can quit if they want.” 

The program, which will have a hybrid of live online sessions and self-paced modules, covers seven main topics ranging from stepping into a managerial role to effective ways to communicate as a manager. Program sessions will be taught by Wharton faculty, such as Cappelli, William and Jacalyn Egan Professor Amy Wrzesniewski, and management communication consultant Lisa Warshaw

Cappelli, who is also the director of Wharton's Center for Human Resources, pointed out that accessible training for managers improves organizations as a whole. The program will put emphasis on managing difficult employees and utilizing methods like role-playing and peer feedback. 

The course has been tailored to apply to a large audience, with recommended audiences including those newly entering managerial roles, those struggling in current managerial roles, entrepreneurs, and aspiring managers.

“This program is for first-time managers, for sure, but it’s not limited to that. It's for anybody who is trying to get better at managing people,” Cappelli said. 

The program is currently accepting applications with a fee of $5,500 for participation.