12-06-23-huntsman-hall-derek-wong
Farmer's Fridge opened on the forum level of Huntsman Hall towards the beginning of the semester. Credit: Derek Wong

Alternative vending machine Farmer's Fridge opened in Huntsman Hall at the start of the semester, aiming to increase the healthy food options available at the University.

The smart fridge brand Farmer's Fridge opened a new location in January on the forum level of Huntsman Hall. The fridge vends fresh meals packaged in jars with the goal of making "finding fresh and healthy meals as simple as vending a candy bar," according to their website. The Huntsman Hall location is the fourth Farmer's Fridge at the Penn. 

Director of Hospitality Services Pam Lampitt said that Farmer's Fridge was implemented in response to Wharton students' requests for healthier vending options.

The fridge’s menu options consist of salad, bowls, handheld meals, and snacks with protein add-ons. Meals are always kept below 41 degrees, and the fridge at Huntsman is currently being restocked about three times a week, according to Farmer's Fridge Regional Sales Manager Kurt Collins. 

Collins said that the fridge's 24-hour service plays a role in increasing accessibility to healthy food options for students who are studying around the clock. He added that the fridge has been described as a "lifesaver" in feedback from customers. 

Collins also said that the salads and bowls are the most popular menu options at the University, adding that the speed of the fridge's service contributes to its appeal for students.  

“They’ll have a restaurant quality, hand-chopped meal in their hands in less than 30 seconds,” he said.

Engineering first-year Jiwanshi Shah praised the diversity of the Farmer's Fridge menu, adding that her favorite meals include the Baja bowl, Greek salad, and chocolate chia seed pudding. 

“[Farmer’s Fridge] offers a good variety of options, especially for a vegetarian like myself who doesn’t find a lot of options in Penn dining halls,” she said. 

When asked about future expansion plans, Collins said that "Penn has always been on our radar."

"We’re super excited to be on campus and accessible for students and excited to see where things go,” he said.

The Huntsman Hall location is the fourth Farmer's Fridge to open at the University. There are also locations in Fagin Hall, Ryan Veterinary Hospital, and Penn Presbyterian Medical Center. The company currently owns more than 1,000 fridges in airports, hospitals, office buildings, and universities across the country.