lacrosse-goalies-penn-athletics

Senior goalkeepers Emmett Carroll and Kelly Van Hoesen were named Ivy League Defensive Players of the Week.

Credit: Courtesy of Penn Athletics

In law, double jeopardy disallows an individual to be tried for the same crime twice. In the same breath, double trouble refers to Penn’s lacrosse goalies, who each denied opposing teams opportunities to score at the net.

This week, senior Emmet Carroll of Penn men’s lacrosse and senior Kelly Van Hoesen of Penn women’s lacrosse each earned Ivy League Defensive Player of the Week honors. The goalkeepers each put up standout performances against non-conference teams last week, helping their respective teams to victory.

Against UAlbany, Carroll defended 17 out of 24 shots on goal, which was a season-high for the goalkeeper. As a result, the Red and Blue were able to hold off the Great Danes by a score of 11-7, notching Penn’s first win of the season. Later in the week, the Quakers defeated No. 14 Delawareby a score of 11-10 at Franklin Field. In that game, Carroll stopped 16 out of 26 shots on goal he faced, continuing his dominant streak. Penn is currently ranked No. 17 in the USILA national rankings. This week, the men’s team heads down south to face tough road tests against No. 1 Duke and No. 19 North Carolina, two marquee matchups in the team’s early season window.

On the women’s side, the Quakers faced No. 12 Johns Hopkins. In the top 15 ranked matchup, the Red and Blue were able to pull off a narrow victory, winning by a final score of 11-10. Van Hoesen had 8 saves in the game, helping the Quakers remain undefeated on the season. The team is currently ranked No. 13 in the IWLCA national poll rankings and will look to climb the rankings further this week when they face Temple and Columbia. The matchup against Columbia will mark the team’s first game in Ivy League play.

As the season progresses, each respective goalie looks to build upon their recent achievements and continue to improve their skills defending the net. With an Ivy League honor already under both of their belts, opposing teams will now have to be wary of two goalies who each stand tall in the net.