04-09-23-baseball-vs-princeton-alex-baxter-jpg
Penn pitcher Ryan Dromboski winds up against Princeton hitter on Apr. 9, 2023. Credit: Alex Baxter

At the heart of Philadelphia, a palpable sense of anticipation fills the air as the Penn men's baseball gears up for the 2024 season. Coming off one of, if not the greatest season in program history, the Quakers face the formidable challenge of replicating their success.

Last season, the Quakers' season ended with a heartbreaking 11-7 loss to the Southern Mississippi Golden Eagles in the final of the NCAA Auburn Regional. But that conclusion came after a streak of exceptional performances, including clinching the regular-season title and then the Ivy League Championship by decisively defeating arch-rival Princeton 16 to 3. 

These victories marked the first time in over two decades that the Quakers made an appearance in the NCAA Tournament, securing notable wins over ranked Auburn and Samford. Although falling just short of becoming the first Ivy League team to advance to the Super Regional round of the Collegiate World Series, individual accolades softened the sting of the postseason loss.

Penn claimed both Pitcher of the Year and Coach of the Year honors along with five first-team All-Ivy selections, two second-team All-Ivy selections, and three honorable mention All-Ivy selections. 

Junior pitcher and reigning Pitcher of the Year Ryan Dromboski leads this formidable Quaker squad hungry to repeat as Ivy League champions. Senior right-handed pitcher Cole Zaffiro and third baseman Wyatt Henseler, both seniors, who were both first-team All-Ivy selections last year, will be looking to conclude their collegiate careers in glory.

Additional returning talent, such as second-team All-Ivy sophomore infielder Davis Baker as well as honorable mention All-Ivy senior right-handed pitcher and infielder Carson Ozmer and sophomore swingman Jarrett Pokrovsky, improves the Quakers' odds of repeating.

The Red and Blue are undeniably stacked from a talent perspective, but they are also equipped with ample leadership and guidance. Reigning Ivy League Coach of the Year and American Baseball Coaches Association (ABCA) East Region Coach of the Year, John Yurkow, returns for his 11th year as the head coach of the program to help navigate the challenges of Division I collegiate baseball.

As the Quakers pursue sustained dominance in the Ivy League, they must be prepared to fend off challengers to their throne. It's time for Quaker fans to rally behind this team, igniting a passion that can propel one of the most successful and exciting teams on campus toward repeating as champions. With undeniable talent and clear coaching direction, the view from the top of the hill promises to be sweet. However, as the late great Australian tennis player Rod Laver once said, "The time your game is most vulnerable is when you're ahead; never let up."