06-10-23-donald-trump-at-ncgop-abhiram-juvvadi
1968 Wharton graduate and former President Donald Trump won the New Hampshire Republican Party presidential primary. Credit: Abhiram Juvvadi

1968 Wharton graduate and former President Donald Trump won the New Hampshire primary, paving the way for his nomination as the Republican candidate in the 2024 presidential election. 

The Associated Press projected that Trump had beat his main rival, former United States Ambassador to the United Nations Nikki Haley, with 54.9% of the vote in Tuesday night’s primary as of publication time. His victory sets the stage for his second consecutive matchup with former Penn professor and President Joe Biden in November 2024.

No Republican candidate has won the first two primary elections and not gone on to secure the presidential nomination. Despite this, Haley did not suspend her campaign and pledged to press forward. During her election night party, she congratulated both Trump and Biden on their respective victories.

“They’re falling all over themselves saying this race is over. Well, I have news for all of them,” Haley said. “New Hampshire is first in the nation, it is not the last in the nation. This race is far from over. ”

Haley, who is a former governor of South Carolina, then vowed to push her “scrappy” campaign forward towards that state’s Republican primary on Feb. 24. 

On the Democratic side, Biden handily won the primary as a write-in candidate. The election was symbolic — New Hampshire chose to hold its primary in defiance of the new Democratic primary calendar, which placed South Carolina before it. The Democratic National Committee stripped the state of its nominating delegates, and Biden chose to officially remove his name from the ballot and not hold campaign events. 

Florida Governor Ron DeSantis, once thought to be a formidable threat to Trump’s campaign, suspended his presidential campaign on Jan. 21 and endorsed Trump.  

In December 2023, Colorado and Maine disqualified Trump from their primary ballots, a decision his campaign denounced. The United States Supreme Court agreed on Jan. 5 to review his eligibility for the Colorado Republican ballot, and Maine’s Superior Court ruled that its secretary of state must wait for that ruling in order to decide whether Trump would be on the ballot.