10-04-23-authors-wharton-adam-grant-jean-park

Wharton professor Adam Grant hosts the first Authors@Wharton event of the academic year, featuring Rainn Wilson. 

Credit: Jean Park

Wharton professor Adam Grant showcased his latest book, "Hidden Potential: The Science of Achieving Greater Things," at the second Authors@Wharton event of the academic year.

The event, held on Oct. 30 at the Zellerbach Theatre, was moderated by NYT Bestselling Author and Penn psychology professor Angela Duckworth. The first 500 attendees were gifted a free book. 

Published on Oct. 24, Grant’s eighth book delves into maximizing personal and professional success. Shortly after its release, it became an Amazon bestseller, getting boosts from interviews with personalities like Oprah and features on shows like CBS Mornings.

The discussion revolved around varied topics, from college admissions to Grant’s experiences and learnings from failures. Recalling his high school days, Grant mentioned his shift from basketball aspirations to diving, a sport in which he ultimately achieved All-American athlete status. 

He emphasized the importance of constructive feedback for growth, introducing a two-score method: one score for performance and another for receptiveness to feedback. The first score would evaluate how one performed on the assignment, whereas the second score would represent how well one did on receiving feedback. He argued that one should strive to make sure that the second score is an A-plus. 

Towards the end of the event, Grant took presubmitted questions from audience members and participated in a lightning round-style interview.  

The event concluded with Grant answering audience queries and a rapid-fire interview session. 

“Don’t judge your potential by where you start — it’s a matter of how far you can travel,” Grant said.

Wharton first-year Ben Zapson said that he has been a fan of Grant since before coming to Penn and frequently attends Authors@Wharton events. 

“I read Adam Grant’s work in high school. And so whenever I see his events, I sign up,” Zapson said. 

Michael Choo, a friend of Grant who attended the event, expressed his excitement for the new book, saying that it synthesized insights from Grant's earlier works.

“This is the most important topic that he's written about yet. Everything else that he's written has been leading towards this,” Choo said. 

The Authors@Wharton Speaker Series, hosted under the McNulty Leadership Program, brings world-renowned authors like Rainn Wilson, Sir Richard Branson, and Malcolm Gladwell to Penn. 

“[Authors@Wharton] is designed to be a co-curricular event for students to expound on the lessons that they learn in the classroom,” Kate FitzGerald, the director of Marketing and Communications for the McNulty Leadership Program, said. 

The next event will feature Walter Isaacson, former CEO of CNN and the Aspen Institute, who will discuss his authorized biography of 1997 Wharton and College graduate Elon Musk, FitzGerald said.