08-21-23-liz-magill-transfer-picnic-abhiram-juvvadi
Liz Magill, the ninth and current president of Penn, speaks to students at the transfer student picnic on Aug. 21. Credit: Abhiram Juvvadi

Penn has experienced a number of administration changes in the past year. As the new school year starts, here are five of Penn’s leaders whose names you will hear often:

1. Liz Magill

Magill, the ninth president of Penn, began her tenure in July 2022. This will be her second school year as president. During the first year of her tenure, she announced The Red and Blue Advisory Committee to develop a strategic plan for the University, filled several high-level administration positions, and introduced herself to students, staff, and faculty across Penn's twelve schools. 

While reflecting on her time in office thus far, Magill told The Daily Pennsylvanian in January that she had “the best job in the world.” She is expected to outline her priorities for the University this fall.

2. John Jackson Jr.

John Jackson Jr. was appointed as the University’s provost in early 2023 and began his tenure on June 1, succeeding Wendell Pritchett. 

Jackson is the first administrator to have served as dean of two schools: the School of Social Policy & Practice from June 2014 to June 2019 and the Annenberg School for Communication from July 2019 to June 2023.

He was formerly a special adviser to the provost on diversity and last year chaired the Red and Blue Advisory Committee. As Penn’s 31st provost, he will oversee aspects of student life across the University, such as teaching, research, admissions, recreation, libraries, online learning, and global initiatives.

In January, Jackson told the DP he looked “forward to contributing to our collective and interconnected efforts in [his] new role.”

3. Karu Kozuma

Kozuma, formerly the executive director of College Houses and Academic Services, was appointed Penn's vice provost for University Life beginning May 1. He previously served as the associate vice provost for university life and executive director of student affairs. 

As vice provost for University Life, Kozuma will focus on offering support to academic and career resources for students while working closely with Penn's many cultural groups.

4. Whitney Soule

Soule began her tenure as vice provost and dean of admissions on July 1, 2021. 

She most recently welcomed the Class of 2027 after the University saw a record-breaking 59,465 applications. 

Since beginning her tenure, Soule has placed emphasis on increasing equity in the application process. She has eliminated the enrollment deposit, introduced a new essay prompt based on gratitude, subtly refined Penn's legacy admissions policy, and has declined to immediately share the acceptance rate of Early Decision and Regular Decision application pools. 

This semester, Soule is expected to play an active role in the University's response to the recent Supreme Court ruling overturning race-conscious admissions.

5. Craig Carnaroli

Carnaroli has served as Penn’s Senior Executive Vice President since 2004. His responsibilities include overseeing the finances and daily operations of the University. During his tenure, he has enhanced the school's credit ratings, overseen an increase in financial aid, developed new campus amenities, and implemented the school's net carbon-zero plan.