01-16-23-arch-basement-andrea-barajas
Penn cultural centers will hold special graduation celebrations in May to honor graduating students in the Class of 2023. Credit: Andrea Barajas

Cultural centers across campus will hold special graduation celebrations throughout the end of the month, celebrating graduating students in the Class of 2023. 

The Daily Pennsylvanian compiled a line-up of past events and celebrations that will continue throughout the rest of the academic year.

Natives at Penn

Natives at Penn celebrated graduates with a hybrid virtual and in-person event on May 4. The in-person portion of the event took place at the Greenfield Intercultural Center. A similar celebration was hosted virtually last year that connected graduates with the Alumni Relations Office. 

Penn LGBT Center

The LGBT center hosted its ninth annual Lavender Graduation on May 3. The event was hosted at Perry World House and also available through Zoom. 

The event celebrated Penn’s LGBTQ undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in the Class of 2023. Alex Gino, a 1999 College graduate and author of the Stonewall Award-winning middle grade book "Melissa" was the keynote speaker. A reception followed the event. 

The center hosted a similar event last year where 2000 College graduate Hema Sarang-Sieminski, the policy director at the nonprofit organization Jane Doe, gave the keynote speech. 

Penn Women’s Center

Penn Women’s Center will host a graduation and cord giveaway event at the Center on May 12 from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. Last year, the Center hosted a "Lunch with Seniors" event to honor graduates.

Makuu: The Black Cultural Center

Makuu will be holding its annual graduation celebration on May 13 at 10 a.m. The celebration will honor senior award winners and “honor the entire Black Penn Class of 2023,” according to Makuu Director Brian Peterson. 

The event, which is a tradition of 20 years, will take place in Irvine Auditorium, followed by a reception at the ARCH Building. Historian, scholar, and 1993 College graduate Khalil Gibran Muhammad will also be giving keynote remarks. The event is open to graduates and their families.

“We're looking forward to the expanded space in Irvine Auditorium to accommodate the growing number of family members, friends, students, alumni, and campus partners who will be joining us to make it a truly special day,” Peterson said. 

Greenfield Intercultural Center

The Greenfield Intercultural Center will host a "Celebration of Graduates and Alumni Garden Party” on May 14 from 11 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. The event will take place at the center’s garden and patio, and will include alumni and recent graduates. 

"Whether you attended one GIC program or experienced GIC as your 'home away from home,' we want to celebrate your success” a description on the University Life calendar said. 

The GIC hosted a similar celebration last year.

La Casa Latina

La Casa Latina will host a Latinx Graduation on May 14 from 1:30 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. in Irvine Auditorium. The celebration will be bilingual. 

"Latinx Graduation is a culturally empowering celebration of graduating students that honors the many traditions that encompass Latinx identities. The ceremony is bilingual to be more inclusive of families and friends who may not be English dominant,” La Casa Latina Associate Director Roseilyn Guzman said. "This event also pays homage to the importance of family in the Latinx culture. Students will walk across the stage alongside two family members or mentors that have impacted their educational journeys."

They are also hosting a "Brindis" event, which translates to toast, on May 15 from 12 p.m. to 2 p.m.  A “Latinx Stole & Gifts” event for graduating seniors was also hosted from May 3 through May 5.

Pan-Asian American Community House

PAACH and the Asian American Studies Program will host a "Family & Friends Graduation Reception" on May 15 from 11:15 a.m. to 1:15 p.m. in ARCH.

A similar event was held last year, bringing together over 200 guests including students, faculty, and University Life leaders. Penn Sargam also performed at the celebration. Twelve community awards were awarded to undergraduate and graduate students, and ASAM minor students were also recognized.

“Our celebrations are one of the ways we showcase the accomplishments and talents of our students while also building strong and meaningful relationships with the Penn community," PAACH Associate Director Vicky Aquino said. "We understand the importance of having a supportive, nurturing, and inclusive community, and that is what we want each person to feel when they come to our PAACH programs and events."

PAACH and ASAM also hosted an end-of-year celebration reception on April 24.