03-26-23-penn-campus-ipek-obek
Penn is one of 27 universities to be selected as one of the 2023 "Promising Places to Work in Student Affairs." Credit: Ipek Obek

Penn has been selected by Diverse: Issues in Higher Education as one of the “Most Promising Places to Work in Student Affairs” for 2023.

"Promising Places to Work in Student Affairs" is a survey to examine the extent to which diversity and inclusion influence the various aspects of student affairs. The survey was commissioned by Diverse: Issues in Higher Education and American College Personnel Association — an association focused on transforming higher education based on conducted research. 

The survey is a tool used by employers, career services staff, and job-seekers across the country to examine their student affairs communities. Penn is one of the 27 universities to have earned this distinction in the country. Other nominated universities included Pennsylvania College of Technology, Syracuse University, and The College of William & Mary. 

According to the survey, the Penn Office of Student Affairs has 160 full-time staff and ten part-time staff — 70% of which identify as female. The average salary of an entry-level job is $50,000, a mid-level job $70,000, and a senior job of $225,000. 

Penn provides benefits in caregiving leave for all, continuing education opportunities, education leave, childcare services, elder care services, a flexible work schedule, and a stress reduction program, the survey reported

Hikaru “Karu” Kozuma will serve as Penn's next vice provost for University Life starting May 1. Kozuma, who is currently the executive director of College Houses & Academic Services, will succeed Tamara Greenfield King, who was appointed as interim vice provost for University Life following Mamta Accapadi's resignation last June. 

“This planning intentionally involved every staff member in the entire division, allowing for everyone to have a voice during the planning process,” Greenfield King said to Diverse. “It is our divisional goal and ethos that when people have a voice in the process, they are much more engaged and committed to the outcome.”