01-21-23-mens-swimming-vs-harvard-matt-fallon-anna-vazhaeparambil
Sophomore Matt Fallon swims butterfly in the 400-yard individual medley during the meet against Harvard at Sheerr Pool on Jan. 21. Credit: Anna Vazhaeparambil

Let’s check in on Matt Fallon, the sophomore Penn swimmer who’s been crushing the competition at every meet. 

Before winter break, Fallon recorded an NCAA A-cut time of 1:50.28 in the 200-yard breaststroke at the Zippy Invitational on Dec. 1, then the fastest time in the U.S. This time qualified for the 2023 NCAA Championships and still holds the number one spot. Fallon has continued to thrive since. 

Coming off this amazing accomplishment early in the season, Fallon’s momentum didn’t slow down against Ancient Eight foes Yale and Dartmouth on Jan. 14. Despite the Red and Blue reigning over Dartmouth yet falling to Yale, individually, Fallon finished in first place in three events: 1,000-yard freestyle, and the 100- and 200-yard breaststroke. 

Back at Sheerr Pool for a dual meet weekend, the Quakers faced West Chester on Friday and Harvard on Saturday for Senior Day. The Red and Blue defeated the Golden Rams, with Fallon recording yet another win in the 200-yard breaststroke. Ultimately, Penn fell to the Crimson but picked up four individual event wins, three of those from Fallon. The Warren, N.J. native scored wins again in the 100- and 200-yard breaststroke, along with a win in the 400-yard individual medley. 

Fallon and the Penn swim and dive crew will compete against Rider this Friday, Jan. 27, at Sheerr Pool. This will be the Quakers’ last meet before heading to Providence, R.I. for championship competition on Feb. 22.