10-18-22-lucky-well-william-bartoc

The Lucky Well on Oct. 18.

Credit: William Bartoc

The Lucky Well — a Philadelphia-based barbecue restaurant chain — recently opened a new location in University City.

The Lucky Well joined the Shop Penn retail community and held a preliminary opening in June. The restaurant, which is located at 3432 Sansom St., started out offering delivery and takeout services and has been open for dine-in as of Oct. 6. The menu features BBQ food and a happy hour option. 

Baby Blues BBQ previously operated in its location, and Lucky Well has renovated the dining facilities. The Lucky Well currently operates at two other locations, and the first location has been open in Ambler since 2013. 

Chef Chad Rosenthal, who originally founded and owns The Lucky Well, has appeared on a variety of food-related television shows, including “two seasons of Food Network Star, Chopped Grill Masters, Beat Bobby Flay, … and Good Morning America,” per his website

Rosenthal told The Daily Pennsylvanian that he thinks the restaurant’s location gives it room to grow. 

“We only have half of The Lucky Well open right now, so we’re currently using the bar, the dining room, and the little patio in the back for dinner five days a week,” Rosenthal said. “As we get rockin’ and rollin’, we hope to open up the full space and start offering lunches by early 2023.”

He also discussed his aims to make the restaurant accessible to students. 

“We’re really excited about the new location and its demographics, located in between the hospitals and the colleges,” he said. “We know college kids are on a budget and we’re on a campus, so that's part of our plan to make it accessible.”

Head chef of The Lucky Well Steven Seibel told the DP that he believes that the University City location’s unique food offerings differentiate it from other restaurants, specifically pointing to the BBQ pizzas. 

“With me being a pizza guy and Chad being a barbecue guy, we came together and thought we can marry the two and see what happens,” he said. 

Seibel and Rosenthal both mentioned the restaurant’s Happy Hour deals and their hopes for local students to come for it. 

“I want to have the best Happy Hour in all of Penn’s campus,” Rosenthal said. 

Students expressed excitement about The Lucky Well opening a new location in University City

“Coming from Texas, I’m used to quality barbecue, but haven’t had any great options near Penn the past few years,” Wharton senior and Texas resident Connor Pierce told the DP. “I’m excited to try it out soon and see if it matches up with what we have down in Texas.”

College first year Maria Kevane echoed Pierce’s excitement. “I’ll definitely look into The Lucky Well’s menu and try it with friends when I have a chance,” she said.

In addition to The Lucky Well, Rosenthal said he is currently working on plans to open a plant-based fried chicken restaurant in University City in early 2023.