04-03-22-baseball-vs-dartmouth-craig-larsen-diego-cardenas
Senior shortstop Craig Larsen during the game against Dartmouth at Meiklejohn Stadium on April 3. Credit: Diego Cárdenas

Penn baseball senior shortstop Craig Larsen is our DP Sports Player of the Week because of his impressive showing on the road this weekend against Harvard in Cambridge, Mass. 

After a 12-game hit streak and a nine-game RBI streak during the month of March, Larsen continues to top himself, putting up three home runs and six runs total this weekend, while batting 6-for-12 from the plate and hitting in six RBIs.

On Saturday, the Crimson scored first, but their lead didn’t last long and was quickly outpaced by an all-time Penn hitting performance. In the second inning, Larsen hit a two-run homer to left center, and followed that up in the third inning with another two-run homer, putting the Quakers up 6-1. He then added another single in the fourth inning before the game was suspended due to inclement weather. 

After the game picked up again on Sunday, Larsen contributed a single in the ninth inning before Penn finished with a 27-6 win — the most runs scored in a game by the Red and Blue in over 20 years

In the second game on Sunday, Larsen opened the scoring up with another home run during the second inning, and then hit a single later on in the sixth inning. Penn would wind up in the winner's column yet again against Harvard, this time by a 6-2 margin.

As a result of his impressive weekend, Larsen's batting average on the season is now at .293, good enough for fourth-best on the team.

Honorable Mention: 

Women’s Tennis: Senior Iuliia Bryzgalova and graduate student Marija Curnic made valuable contributions to Penn's success this weekend, helping the team to two crucial wins over Brown and Yale. The pair won both of their doubles matches 6-4, securing the doubles point in each matchup for the Quakers.