04-27-19-wtrack-penn-relays-skyla-wilson-son-nguyen
Now-senior sprinter Skyla Wilson runs in the 4x400 Championship of America relay, contributing to Penn's second place finish in the event on April 27, 2019 at Franklin Field. Credit: Son Nguyen

100 years ago, The Armory in New York City housed the local militia and the National Guard. Today, it hosts over 100 annual track and field competitions a year, including the 2022 Ivy League Heptagonal Indoor T&F Championships, which the Quakers set several new program records at.

Sophomore Maeve Stiles had an impressive day as she put the pen to the record book. 

Stiles beat the Penn women’s 5K record by 11 seconds, setting a new program mark with a 16:13.48 time, while also shattering her own personal record of 17:51.

Behind Stiles, junior Lizzy Bader also notched her name in the record book, as she set the tenth-best time in program history with 16:48.93.

In senior Skyla Wilson’s last season donning the Red and Blue, the Pennsylvania native continued her affinity towards rewriting records.

A few weeks ago, Wilson set her own new personal record time of 8.35. On Saturday, Wilson erased her previous program record time with a first-place time of 8.31. 

Wilson wasted no time on the second day of the Heptagonal Championships. Narrowly taking second place, Wilson finished the 60m hurdles with a time of 8.29 for the new program record and the third-fastest time in Ivy League history.

There’s no better way to bid farewell to the Penn program than to leave your legacy behind in the record books.

Junior Katherine Muccio and freshman Shevell Higgs joined Wilson by finishing sixth (8.63) and eighth (8.71), respectively. 

On the men’s side of track and field, junior Antaures Jackson moved up to fourth in Penn’s record book with a time of 1:03.13 in the 500m.

Through the weekend, there were ten additional program record changes, with seven of those coming from the women’s team. While Penn women’s track and field was able to finish with 89 points for third place, the men’s side fell short and finished in eighth with 27 points.

In an up-and-down season for the track and field teams, Penn will look to build on its numerous record-setting athletes starting next season.