11-16-21-penn-mens-basketball-vs-lafayette-jonah-charles-sukhmani-kaur
Junior guard Jonah Charles shoots the ball during the game versus the Kings on Nov. 16 at the Palestra. Credit: Sukhmani Kaur

Winter sports are in full swing this weekend, as the last remaining fall sports see their conclusions.

Football (3-6, 1-5 Ivy)

The football season comes to a close on Saturday when the Quakers face the Princeton Tigers (8-1, 5-1 Ivy) at home. Football is coming off of a tough road loss against Harvard last week. It was the team's first loss against the Crimson since 2013.

The Red and Blue has had a back-and-forth history with the Tigers, totaling a 36-37 record overall and a 5-5 record in the past ten matchups. With Princeton winning the last matchup, Penn looks to re-establish their reign over their conference rival.

Freshman quarterback Aidan Sayin will finish the year with five starts, looking to add on to an impressive first year. Sophomore running back Isaiah Malcome, coming into the game with six rushing touchdowns, will try to add to that total as his final campaign closes out.

Men’s Cross Country

The men’s cross country season concludes with the NCAA Cross Country Championship on Saturday in Tallahassee, Fla. Senior captain Noah Carey clinched a berth in the championship after placing third overall in the 10K event at the Mid-Atlantic Regional Championship in Bethlehem, Pa. 

Sophomore Oliver Stewart also gave an All-Region performance, placing 19th at the regional. The Quakers as a whole ranked sixth out of 26 schools at the regional. 

Men’s Basketball (2-2, 0-0 Ivy)

Men’s basketball will be attending the Myrtle Beach Invitational in South Carolina over the weekend. The team heads into the event after two straight wins against Bucknell and Lafayette. At the invitational, they will face Utah State (1-1) in the first round.

Sophomore guard Jordan Dingle will look to continue his hot streak this season, scoring 20 or more points in three of the first four games. Meanwhile, junior Jonah Charles and senior Jelani Williams alongside Dingle will form a stellar backcourt for the Red and Blue.

Women’s Basketball (2-0, 0-0 Ivy)

The Red and Blue, currently undefeated, won’t have another game until Monday, where they will face Villanova (0-2) at home. Women’s basketball has been on a tear so far, winning both of their last games by more than 30 points. The opening game against Hartford also gave head coach Mike McLaughlin his 200th victory.

Sophomore forward Jordan Obi will try to maintain momentum after a 29-point, 12-rebound night against King’s College. Mandy McGurk will also look to keep up after scoring 17 points and registering three steals that night, both career highs for the junior guard.

Men’s Squash (4-0, 0-0 Ivy)

The top-ranked Quakers have four matches this weekend, against Virginia (1-2), Navy (9-1), Williams (0-0), and Bates (0-0), respectively. Last weekend, the Quakers swept their schedule, beating Chatham, Drexel, Dickinson, and Franklin & Marshall while giving up zero sets in total. They’ll hope to continue that trend starting on Friday afternoon.

Women’s Squash (3-1, 0-0 Ivy)

Women’s squash, ranked No. 8 by the CSA preseason polls, will face Williams (1-1), Stanford (0-0), Williams (0-0), and Tufts (0-0) over the weekend. Despite sweeping Chatham, Dickinson, and Franklin & Marshall last weekend, the Red and Blue suffered a devastating 5-4 loss to Drexel. The team will try to improve to 7-1 by the end of this weekend.

Swimming and Diving

Men's (2-1, 1-1 Ivy) and women’s (2-1, 1-1 Ivy) swimming and diving will meet against Cornell (1-2 men’s, 2-1 women’s) and Princeton (3-0 men’s, 3-0 women’s) at home on Saturday afternoon. 

Last weekend, both teams won against Brown, with men’s swimming edging out the Bears for a 152-148 victory, while women’s swimming secured a decisive 179-121 win. Women’s swimming will look to maintain a perfect home record, and men’s swimming will attempt to improve upon their record.

Wrestling

The wrestling season continues as the Red and Blue host the Keystone Classic on Sunday morning. The event comes after Penn travelled to Manheim, Pa. for the Journeyman Collegiate Classic; at the event, sophomore Michael Colaiocco earned the Hammer Award in the 133-pound weight class.

Seven Quakers are ranked across a multitude of wrestling sources, with Colaiocco (133) ranking as high as ninth. This weekend, the the team will try to maintain or improve upon those rankings.