07-11-20-palestra-exterior-sunset-kylie-cooper
Kyle McLemore was released from prison last year after serving 21 years for a shooting that occurred outside of the Palestra in 1998. Credit: Kylie Cooper

Kyle McLemore, one of the men convicted in the 1998 shooting that occurred outside of the Palestra, allegedly defrauded COVID-19 relief programs and obtained more than $139,000 in federal funds.

In March 1998, McLemore was involved in a high-profile, fatal shooting in which he shot and killed 22-year-old Anthony Davis on Penn’s campus after a high school basketball game. Three other people, including a senior at Penn who was working on a project inside the nearby Blauhaus building, were struck by bullets, Philly Voice reported. 

McLemore was released from prison last year after serving 21 years. Prosecutors say that upon his release, he took part in a scheme to take advantage of the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act, or the CARES Act.

McLemore allegedly falsified information on his applications to the federal Pandemic Unemployment Assistance program and the Economic Injury Disaster Loan program. Prosecutors alleged that he claimed unemployment assistance for a time period in which he was still in prison, resulting in benefits that totaled to $14,555. He also claimed that he lost his job due to the COVID-19 pandemic, according to the Department of Justice.

In his application to the Economic Injury Disaster Loan program, McLemore also claimed to run a tobacco business during the time he was still in prison. Prosecutors alleged that McLemore used a forged business license from the City of Philadelphia to receive around $125,000, Philly Voice reported.

If convicted of all charges, McLemore could face a maximum sentence of 40 years in prison and a $750,000 fine, among other charges, according to the DOJ.