2019-penn-womens-rowing-chase-sutton

Over 500 days since their last competition, Penn women's rowing brought home a win in the Murphy Cup Regatta on April 3.

On April 3, 2021 over 500 days since their last competition, Penn women’s rowing brought home a win at the Murphy Cup Regatta.

The Murphy Cup Regatta, hosted by Temple University, took place at the Schuylkill River. This year marked the 38th Memorial Murphy Cup Regatta, in which Penn took on Temple, Drexel, and La Salle.

“It is good to be competing again because it is a landmark for knowing that COVID-19's impact on college athletics isn’t as drastic as it was earlier," freshman Simone Voperian said. "It is also worth noting that since crews are training off of their own schools' policy for COVID-19, and it feels like everything could be shut down in an instant, there is additional environmental stress that adds a new and challenging mental component to competition.” 

The Quakers won two races on Saturday, and notched one second-place finish. The Red and Blue started off hot, placing first in the four-boat Varsity Eights race with a time of 6:31.6, finishing 1.7 seconds ahead of Drexel. 

In the Second Varsity Eights race, the Quakers recorded a time of 6:37.7, finishing 2.8 seconds behind Drexel's winning time of 6:34.9. Capping off the day with their second victory, Penn also won the Varsity Fours race with a time of 7:35.3, almost four seconds ahead of Drexel.

The Red and Blue are scheduled for a rematch against Drexel on Saturday, April 10, again on the Schuylkill River. The Quakers defeated the Dragons in the Varsity Fours, but lost in the Varsity Eights and the Second Varsity Eights. 

The Red and Blue plan to be back and better this coming Saturday, April 17 at the Kerr Cup Regatta, which will also take place on the Schuylkill and is being hosted by Drexel.