26024d20-878b-4843-b1e8-9f6decea4288-sized-1000x1000

President Joe Biden will visit Philadelphia's 30th Street Station on Friday as part of his “Getting America Back on Track” nationwide tour.

Credit: Kylie Cooper

President Joe Biden will visit Philadelphia on Friday to celebrate Amtrak's 50th anniversary.

Biden will visit 30th Street Station in downtown Philadelphia to push for his sweeping infrastructure proposal, CNN reported. The trip is part of Biden's "Getting America Back on Track" tour, which aims to highlight Biden's first 100 days in office and his commitment to passing infrastructure legislation, amounting to over $4 trillion. The package includes an $80 billion investment in rail. 

The trip will be Biden’s third visit to Pennsylvania since mid-March, and will highlight his Pennsylvania roots and connection to Amtrak. Biden was born in Scranton, Pa. and commuted from Delaware to Washington D.C. on Amtrak for decades as a senator, earning him the nickname “Amtrak Joe.” Biden estimates he had taken over 8,200 round trips, covering over two million miles, CNN reported. 

Biden rode the train again in 2019 when he launched his presidential campaign, which was headquartered in Philadelphia, The Philadelphia Inquirer reported.

The president also has strong ties to Penn, having served as an honorary professor at the University. He also established the Penn Biden Center for Diplomacy and Global Engagement in the nation’s capital. 

Visiting 30th Street Station as part of the travel tour will allow Biden to speak to Amtrak riders directly, CNN reported.

Amtrak, which is already the largest passenger rail provider in the nation, announced plans to upgrade and expand service to as many as 30 new routes. Pending Congressional approval, expansions of this service would include cities like Columbus, Nashville, and Las Vegas, according to CNN.