kayla-ketring-headshot

Senior softball captain Kayla Ketring was introduced to her sport through her siblings and dad who played softball and basketball.

The Daily Pennsylvanian asked Kayla Ketring of Penn softball 15 questions about her sport, her time at Penn, and her life overall. Here's what the senior had to say.

1.   Tell me a little bit about yourself.

My name is Kayla Ketring. I am a senior captain on the softball team. I am studying communications and consumer psychology. I am originally from Southern Calif., but I have been living in Cleveland for the past few years, so I consider myself a nomad.

2.   What got you into softball?

My dad played college baseball and my older sister and brother played softball and baseball, so it was just natural for me to get into the sport as well.

3.   How would you describe the team’s dynamic?

It is very fun and energetic. We are a lively team and there is so much energy on the team, it is unreal. Definitely very lively and energetic.

4.   What position do you play?

I play outfield, I have been playing right field, I can rotate, but mainly outfield.

5.   If you follow one, what is your favorite MLB team?

That is a funny question because I have moved around so much, but my favorite team is the Dodgers just because I love the players on the team. They are fun to watch and have good camaraderie. 

6.   At what age did you hit your first home run?

I was a freshman in high school, we were playing a team in the playoffs that we were not expected to beat. The girl was throwing straight gas, I struck out three times, and on my fourth at bat, I swung with my eyes closed, and I ended up hitting a home run, rallying us to win the game. I don't know how I did it. I believe I struck out again, so I still got the golden sombrero striking out three to four times, but I hit a home run, so it was okay.

7.   How did you feel after hitting this home run?

I did not know how to feel because I had never hit one before. I remember I sprinted around the bases and everyone told me ‘Kayla, you are not supposed to run that fast when you hit a home run, rub it in a little bit.’ I was so excited, I sprinted around the bases.

8.   What is your favorite part about Penn softball?

My favorite part is that our team has a lot of fun. Despite the circumstances if we are having a bad day or bad practice, or the game is not going our way. We have a lot of girls on the team that like to have fun or will find a way to make us have fun. So, I would say that although the sport can sometimes be slow or drawn out, we are constantly having fun.

9.   What is something in life that you truly treasure?

I truly treasure the little things. I try to find positivity in each day, especially nowadays and so for me I would treasure a great conversation with someone, the skyline, or just smiling at someone and saying ‘hi.’ I really treasure the little things that can be overlooked really easily.

10.   Early bird or night owl?

Definitely an early bird.

11.   What is your favorite fun fact about yourself to tell others?

When I was in middle school, I entered a beauty pageant just for fun. I am not very into this stuff, but I came across it. I did it, and ended up placing second place, so I am considered Miss Teen Moorpark 2013. I still remember the choreographed dance, it was to "Diamonds" by Rihanna because I did it so many times in a practice.

12.   If given the opportunity to visit any place in the world, where are you going?

I have recently been very interested in the national parks, but I think I would say Iceland.

13.   What is a hot take that you hold?

I really do not find "Friends" funny. I saw Jennifer Aniston in an iHop one time and she was sitting behind me. I tried to get into "Friends" after that, but I just could not.

14.   What is your favorite post game meal?

Ooo, my favorite post-game meal would be chicken and sautéed vegetables. I always have a square of dark chocolate right after dinner too.

15.   Who is someone you look up to?

Someone I look up to is definitely my dad. He is a role model in so many different ways, but he is always supportive no matter what crazy adventures we are going through. He will offer advice, guidance, but also criticism that will make me a more well-rounded individual.