The Daily Pennsylvanian is a student-run nonprofit.

Please support us by disabling your ad blocker on our site.

Mail-in ballots were counted inside the Pennsylvania Convention Center. Credit: Kylie Cooper

Two armed men were arrested at the Pennsylvania Convention Center in Philadelphia on Thursday night, where final votes for the presidential election were being counted. 

The Philadelphia Police Department received a tip that a family from Virginia was headed to Philadelphia to attack the Pennsylvania Convention Center and attempt to stop votes from being counted. At 10:20 p.m., the police spotted the two armed men without Pennsylvania arms permits. They were detained and later arrested for firearms charges.

In the car, the police found another gun belonging to the men, The Washington Post reported. The car also had a bumper sticker that referenced the Trump-supporting conspiracy theory group QAnon.

That same night, President and 1968 Wharton graduate Donald Trump televised a speech from the White House. The speech was cut short by MSNBC and CBS due to Trump's unsupported claims of voter fraud and suppression during the election.

“We were up by 700,000 in Pennsylvania,” Trump said, according to a live broadcast on PBS. “I won Pennsylvania by a lot and that gets whittled down to I think they said now we’re up by 90,000 votes. They keep coming and coming from all over and they don’t want us to have any observers.” 

Trump said that the same outcome occurred in Georgia, according to the PBS clip. 

Despite Trump's unsupported voter suppression allegations and recent protests to stop counting votes outside the Center, the poll workers continued to finalize the election results.

The following day, Biden took the lead from Trump in both Pennsylvania and Georgia. On Saturday, CNN called Pennsylvania for Biden, putting him over the 270 electoral vote threshold needed to secure the presidency.

After the recent attempted attack and other forms of civil unrest, the Federal Bureau of Investigations said that people should “remain vigilant and immediately report any suspicious activity to law enforcement,” The Washington Post reported.