weight-floor-pottruck

Fitness centers will have properly-distanced equipment and institute a reservation system.

Credit: Annie Luo

After temporarily closing in mid-March, Pottruck Health and Fitness Center and other Penn fitness facilities will are preparing to reopen under a phased approach throughout the fall semester.

As the reopening phases progress, Campus Recreation will increase hours, group exercise programming, services, and access to other indoor facilities such as squash, indoor tennis, and the Fox Fitness Center, Campus Recreation wrote in a July 13 email to students involved with intramural sports.

Pottruck's capacity will likely be restricted by properly distancing facility equipment and requiring students to reserve time slots to use campus fitness facilities, Senior Associate Athletic Director Scott Ward wrote in an email to The Daily Pennsylvanian on July 28. 

Campus Recreation centers will follow the physical distancing and facial covering guidelines set forth in the Student Campus Compact, he wrote. The Compact requires students to maintain a six foot distance from others and wear facial coverings when they leave their residences.

Staff in all University fitness facilities will adhere to the safety standards outlined in the Compact and will frequently disinfect high-touch surfaces and equipment. Daily hours of operation for fitness facilities will also include scheduled closures for additional cleaning and disinfecting, Ward wrote.

Campus Recreation will share more information about the phased resumption of activities in the coming weeks, Ward wrote. 

On July 13, Penn Campus Recreation sent an email to students who are involved with intramural sports to complete a survey about the fall semester. The survey asked students about their interest in returning to Campus Recreation facilities and programs, as well as the days and times they prefer to exercise.

All Campus Recreation facilities closed when students were asked to leave campus in mid-March. Campus Recreation has since created an online hub for fitness resources, with at-home workout routines and a way for students to schedule virtual, 30 minute fitness consultations with athletic trainers on staff. Campus Recreation also offers live workouts on its Instagram page.