june-2020-move-out-coronavirus-002

Students are able to return to campus to move out of their dorms from June 4 until June 13.

Students who returned to Penn this week to move out of on-campus housing said coronavirus transmission was a major concern — regardless of the social distancing guidelines Residential Services implemented.

From June 4 until June 13, students are returning to campus to pack up their belongings and move out of their dorms. While Residential Services is mandating that facial masks be constantly worn while on campus and is ensuring roommates are not sharing the same move-out time slot, students say there was no strict enforcement of social distancing. 

For those moving out of Penn's high-rise buildings, a maximum of three students and their guests are allowed to move out during the same time per floor. In low-rise dorms such as Gregory College House and Hill College House, four students and their guests are allowed on each floor at any given time, according to a document shared with students returning to campus. 

Each student is permitted to bring one guest and must finish moving-out with a strict three-hour time slot or risk their items being thrown away, according to the document. Residential Services also outlined guidelines with all returning students explaining the move-out procedure and outlining social distancing guidelines in the same document. 

Students who returned to Penn to move out, however, said there was no strict enforcement of social distancing while they were on campus. 

Rising College sophomore and former resident of Hill College House Adam Goudjil said students and their guests were expected to follow basic social distancing etiquette to limit the risk of coronavirus transmission. 

Goudjil noted that other than the few people assisting with moving belongings and check-in at Hill's front desk, his hallway was nearly empty except for a hallmate who was also moving out while he was. 

Like Goudjil, rising College junior and former Rodin College House resident Erinda Sheno said staff members were not strictly enforcing social distancing. Sheno said anti-bacterial wipes were provided to students and their guests at check-in, however, and that the University added hand sanitizing stations to a variety of common areas such as in elevators. 

The University also provided moving assistance and free parking passes at locations near on-campus housing. 

Sheno, a Philadelphia native who came back during Spring Break to move some smaller items out of her dorm after receiving notice of the mandatory move-out in mid-March, said the strictly enforced three-hour time slot in June felt limited. 

“I think if I hadn’t taken most of my stuff earlier around Spring Break, it would have been tough to pack everything up,” Sheno said. “Three hours is a little tight.” 

Some students, such as rising College sophomore and former Kings Court English College House resident Sophie Cronin, opted to utilize the University’s pack-and-ship option to minimize the risk of coronavirus transmission.

“I didn’t return to campus since I don’t need any of my things immediately,” Cronin said. “It also frees up time and space for people who need to return to campus immediately to get important belongings back.”

Goudjil said that the University’s atmosphere was very somber while he moved out with all students and non-essential staff home for the summer.

“It was surreal,” Goudjil said. “Seeing your favorite places completely vacated can only be described as surreal.”  

Those who did not return to campus and still have belongings in their dorm may have their items stored locally or sent to them at home by the University.