homewood-suites

Homewood Suites will offer free rooms for HUP and CHOP doctors and nurses and Penn Police officers.

Credit: Andrew Dierkes

University City’s Homewood Suites by Hilton on 41st and Walnut streets is offering free rooms to doctors and nurses at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, Children's Hospital of Philadelphia, and Penn Police officers.

As doctors, nurses, and other staff work to ensure health and safety amid the COVID-19 pandemic, Hilton offered the option for those who are unable to return to their homes due to their strenuous work schedule, NBC10 Philadelphia reported.

“I kept seeing the stories of our first responders working tirelessly to help the COVID-19 battle, and was thinking about how exhausted these folks must be when they go home for short periods of time to change, get a few hours of sleep, and then go back to work,” David Adelman, CEO of Campus Apartments, wrote in an email to The Daily Pennsylvanian. Campus Apartments owns Homewood Suites.

Adelman wrote in a press release that he hopes the hotel’s accommodations will “ease the burden of travel home for doctors and nurses at HUP and CHOP, as well as Penn officers.” He added that “Campus Apartments has been an integral member of the University City community for more than 60 years, and we want to support our neighbors and those on the front lines at HUP and CHOP in any way possible during this unprecedented time.”

The hotel has about 80 available rooms, and the offer is available until April 30, “at which time we will evaluate where things stand, and decide if it is wanted or needed beyond that time,” Adelman wrote to the DP.

Adelman added that none of the hotel’s 40 employees have been laid off or furloughed. “All costs to keep the hotel open are being borne by Campus Apartments,” he wrote.

Vice President for Public Safety Maureen Rush wrote in an email to the DP that she appreciated the accommodations.

“We are all very appreciative of the generosity of Homewood Suites and David Adelman for offering free hotel rooms for Penn Police, Penn Medicine, and CHOP medical staff. This gesture is not a surprise to us, as David has been a constant supporter and active member of the University City community for over 25 years. Their act of kindness at this unprecedented time is an example of the character of David and his entire team,” Rush wrote.

The press release read that the free accommodations are based on room availability, and that persons exhibiting symptoms of COVID-19 will not be permitted.

“My hope is that this helps our first responders get the rest they need, and social distance from their families and loved ones who may be at risk, while knowing they don’t need to spend any money to do so,” Adelman wrote to the DP.