casey-brown

Casey Brown was briefly a professional soccer player, but her true calling has always been coaching.

In its second coaching addition within a week, Penn Athletics announced on Monday that Casey Brown will be the new head coach for Penn women’s soccer.

After five seasons with the Quakers, former head coach Nicole Van Dyke resigned in January to pursue the same position at the Pac-12's University of Washington.

Brown comes to Penn from Holy Cross, where she spent four seasons as head coach. Over the course of her time with the Crusaders, Brown became the coach with the second-highest number of Patriot League wins in program history.

In 2019, Brown led the Crusaders to their best season since 2000. They posted five wins overall and went 3-1-5 in the Patriot League, the program’s best conference record in the last 20 seasons. At the end of the 2019 season, Brown’s team saw five of its players named to the All-Patriot League — again, the most since 2000. 

"I could not be more excited to be a part of such a prestigious institution as the University of Pennsylvania as the leader of the women's soccer program," Brown wrote in a Penn Athletics statement. "I look forward to continuing the upward trajectory of this program as we look to reach new heights and provide an unbelievable experience for our current and future student-athletes. I feel a great sense of pride to lead Penn women's soccer, and I cannot wait to get to work."

Brown played college soccer at Boston University from 2006-2009 and was the only player to ever earn America East Defensive Player of the Year for three seasons. She would later serve as an associate head coach for her alma mater from 2013-2016, during which time the Terriers made three NCAA Tournament appearances. 

"I am thrilled to welcome Casey to Penn to continue the upward trajectory of our women's soccer program," Penn Athletics Director M. Grace Calhoun wrote in the statement. "She has had incredible success as a student-athlete, assistant coach, and head coach at prestigious academic institutions, and I am confident that her success will carry over to Penn.”

Brown will hope to foster more success for the Quakers as they prepare for the upcoming 2020 season.