penn-chinese-theater

Penn Chinese Theater's latest performance was "The Village" in Nov. 2019. (Photo from Zihan Chen)

The Performing Arts Council, an organization that allocates on-campus space to Penn performing art groups, barred new groups from joining in 2014 due to space limitations. Six years later, PAC has temporarily lifted the moratorium with the addition of two new groups.

College senior and PAC A Cappella Chair Levi Cooper said a cappella group Dischord and theater group Penn Chinese Theater joined PAC last month. Both groups said their PAC membership will help increase their recognition at Penn and allow access to rehearsal and performance space on campus. Dischord Co-president and College junior Aaron Kahane added that groups who perform dance, a cappella, musical and comedy, and theater at Penn must be part of PAC in order to receive funding from the Student Activities Council.

PAC halted the addition of new groups with a moratorium from 2005 to 2007, citing rehearsal and performance space limitations and lack of resources. PAC placed a second moratorium in September 2014 and had not accepted a new group since last month. PAC said in 2014 that they would consider lifting the moratorium when they were able to support the needs of current groups and new groups.

From 2007 to 2014, PAC added 10 new groups. Since then, Cooper said PAC has consistently had 46 groups.

College junior and PAC Technical Chair Hannah Paquet said that while non-PAC performing arts groups can secure space on campus for rehearsal if a space is vacant, PAC groups are prioritized and guaranteed weekly rehearsal spaces and two performances on campus every year.

PAC guarantees performance and rehearsal spaces in buildings such as Platt Performing Arts House, Houston Hall, or college houses, Cooper added.

Cooper said PAC decided to accept a group earlier this year when they noticed the PAC schedule consistently had space for six to eight hours of rehearsal a week.

Credit: Maria Murad

The inside of Platt Performing Arts House, where many performing arts groups rehearse and perform.

Kahane said PAC first voted to temporarily lift the moratorium on Feb. 25, and the A Cappella Council, a PAC subcommittee, endorsed Dischord as a potential new group. 

“A group like Dischord doesn't really take up too much space, because we can rehearse anywhere,” Kahane said.

Kahane said that Dischord is currently self-funded through ticket sales, but will now be eligible to apply for funding from SAC as a member of PAC. He added that PAC membership would also provide opportunities for more on-campus rehearsals and performances. Kahane said in the past, Dischord has held performances at St. Mary’s Church Hamilton Village located at 3916 Locust Walk, the Penn Museum, and Meyerson Hall.

He added that joining PAC will allow Dischord to form better relationships and facilitate more collaborations with other performance groups.

Penn Chinese Theater Co-president and Wharton sophomore Homer Wang said PCT often rehearses in college house lounges or performance spaces. Wang said PCT has held performances at the International House located at 3701 Chestnut St. in the past. He added that the accessibility to on-campus venues will give PCT more opportunities to perform in front of a Penn audience.

“Before we were facing more to the international communities,” Wang said. “With PAC membership, we really hope to expand to a local audience.”

Wang added that he hopes PAC membership will help fund PCT. He said PCT currently has a fundraising team dedicated to gaining sponsorships from local Chinese restaurants and businesses to cover facility costs. 

Cooper said PAC is open to accepting any groups that apply as long as space is available.

“We're hopeful that in the future, the University will renovate spaces or make more rehearsal space available and more performance space available," Cooper said.