sean-mlax

After scoring just 19 goals last season junior attacker Sean Lulley has already scored 10 times this season.

Credit: Son Nguyen

On Saturday, Penn men’s lacrosse traveled to Charlotte, N.C. to face No. 10 Duke and defeated the Blue Devils to pick up its first victory of the new season. The Quakers’ victory was paced by the performance of junior attacker Sean Lulley, whose efforts were good enough to earn him the honor of DP Sports Player of the Week. 

Lulley entered Saturday’s contest having already recorded an impressive offensive performance on the young season. The junior scored four goals in the Red and Blue’s season-opening defeat at the hands of No. 4 Maryland. During Saturday’s contest, Lulley built on his hot streak of early season scoring with six goals in Penn’s victory over the Blue Devils. 

In Saturday’s matchup, it was Lulley that opened up scoring for both teams, as he recorded the first two goals in the game. These goals gave Penn a lead that it would maintain for most of the game. Although their hot start suggested the Quakers might pull away from the Blue Devils, the second and third periods were back-and-forth affairs. Lulley added three goals during these two periods to help Penn stay in competition with Duke. 

After Penn fell behind at the start of the third quarter, it was Lulley who helped put the Quakers back on top. He assisted on a goal by Ben Bedard, giving the Quakers the lead before adding the game’s final goal to bring the score to 14-11 in favor of the Red and Blue. 

After finishing fifth on the Quakers with 19 goals a season ago, Lulley seems primed to be the leading scorer for Penn this season. Through only two games, the junior has tallied 10 goals with a 78.9% shot-on-goal percentage. Lulley has also recorded three assists, bringing his total points on the year to 13. 

Following a strong 2019 campaign, Penn men’s lacrosse figures to be a contender both in the Ivy League and at the national level this season. If the first two games serve as any indication, Lulley's performance will play a large factor in the Quakers’ success this season.