max-matza
Credit: Son Nguyen

After a combined four wins this weekend, Penn men's and women's basketball deservedly had a few individuals pick up weekly awards from the Ivy League and Big 5.

Women’s basketball junior center Eleah Parker was honored by both as Player of the Week after a historic weekend.

Last Friday, the Charlotte, N.C. native became the 23rd player in program history to score over 1,000 points after putting up 28 points and 13 rebounds in the Red and Blue's overtime win over Columbia. The victory marked Parker’s third double-double in the team's prior four games.

In Saturday's contest against Cornell, the Quakers won comfortably, 63-41, and Parker again had an key impact with 13 points. Against the Big Red, Parker became the third player in program history with over 200 blocks in her career.

Credit: Zihan Chen

The men also saw their fair share of awards, as senior forward AJ Brodeur was named Big 5 Player of the Week and freshman guard Max Martz earned Ivy League Rookie of the Week.

Brodeur led the team to a 76-67 win at Columbia, scoring 16 of his 24 points in the second half. His offensive ability and experience led to a surged Penn to the win after the Lions kept it close for most of the game.

Martz also had an outstanding performance at Columbia, scoring all of his 11 points in the second half. The freshman hit a new personal record after notching seven rebounds at Cornell and hitting the Ivy League’s highest average in three-point field-goal percentage.

After scoring only 17 combined points over the last six games, Martz has been on a recent tear, with double-digit performances against both New York Ivies this past weekend.

Penn basketball will be back in action for another Ivy Weekend this Friday and Saturday against Brown and Yale, and these three will surely have an important role to play.