mbb-devon-goodman-potw

Devon Goodman led the Quakers with 14 second half points in the team's quarterfinal win over Central Florida in the quarterfinals of the Wooden Legacy tournament.

Credit: Son Nguyen

Devon Goodman made sure Penn men’s basketball’s trip to the happiest place on earth brought smiles to the Red and Blue.

The Quakers claimed two of their three at contests at the Wooden Legacy tournament in Anaheim, Calif. this weekend, finishing the tournament in third place. Goodman helped the Quakers in all three games, proving to be especially valuable in the quarterfinal win over Central Florida and earning himself DP Sports Player of the Week.

The senior guard struggled to find his offensive stroke early in the season, scoring double-digits in just two of the team's first five games. However, Goodman was able to reach that mark in all three tournament games. 

Goodman’s best performance of the tournament came in the team's quarterfinal win over UCF, when he scored 19 total points and 14 in the second half to lead the Quakers over the Knights. Goodman was especially important down the stretch. Despite shooting just 59% from the free-throw line to start the season, the senior knocked down two crucial free throws to put the Red and Blue up by three with just over a minute to go.

Credit: Son Nguyen

Goodman continued his strong scoring play in the next two games, dropping 11 points in the team’s loss to No. 14 Arizona in the semifinal and 16 points in the third-place game victory over Long Beach State. Goodman’s scoring outburst came alongside an improvement from beyond the three-point line. Coming into the tournament shooting just 24% from three, Goodman began to find his stroke over the long weekend, knocking down 33% of his attempts from beyond the arc. 

Beyond impacting the game with his scoring, Goodman helped to facilitate the offense for the Quakers, recording 14 assists across the three contests against just five turnovers. 

As the Quakers return home to prepare for their matchup with Villanova, they will need Goodman to continue his strong play if they are going to upset the Wildcats for the second consecutive year.