4-26-19-penn-relays-friday-mayyi-mahama

Rising sophomore Mayyi Mahama now holds the program record in the hammer throw.

Credit: Son Nguyen

In just her first year of collegiate competition, rising sophomore Mayyi Mahama of Penn track and field has risen to the top of the Ivy League.

At the USA Track & Field U20 Outdoor Championships, which took place in Miramar, FL, Mahama claimed the top spot in the hammer throw with a score of 65.66m. Her first place performance not only set a PR, but was also good for a program record and second best in Ivy League history.

Mahama also qualified for the U20 Pan American games.

This weekend’s success for Mahama caps off a first season that can only be described as ground-breaking. Mahama follows in the footsteps of recently graduated Rachel Lee Wilson, who set many records for Penn throughout her career. Mahama’s score at the USATF Championships replaced Wilson’s Ivy League record.

At the Indoor Ivy Heptagonal Championships, Penn women’s track and field captured its second straight title. Mahama finished in second behind Wilson.

Mahama set a PR of 62.23m at the NCAA prelims, securing a trip to the NCAA Championship.

Earlier this month, Mahama earned an All-American honorable mention following a strong NCAA Championship performance. She was able to throw 55.63m, placing 24th overall.

As she moves into her second year of competition, Mahama is surely a competitor to watch.