recruitment-for-job
Credit: Caroline Gibson

Penn graduates earn less than New York state school alumni according to career website Zippia. 

In a report released on June 24, Penn placed fifth with prospective graduates earning $131,600 on average. Penn is the only Ivy League institution in the top five colleges in America with the highest earning graduates. 

The State University of New York Downstate Medical Center took the number one spot with prospective graduates earning $169,600. The only other Ivy League schools in the top 10 were Yale University and Princeton University at 7th and 9th place respectively.

Although not in the top five in Zippia's rankings, Yale University, Dartmouth College, Princeton University, and Brown University took the number one spot for their respective states with the highest earning graduates, according to Newsweek. Zippia used data from the Department of Education College Scorecard to identify the college in each state with the highest average earnings for students ten years after enrollment. 

According to the Department of Education College Scorecard for 2016, Penn was not the number one college in Pennsylvania with the highest earning graduates. The University of the Sciences and Thomas Jefferson University graduates earned a higher median salary than Penn graduates within 10 years of beginning school, according to The Daily Pennsylvanian.

Zippia's 2017 rankings placed five of the eight Ivy League schools in the top 10 compared to this year’s three. Harvard University took the number one spot with graduates earning $118,400 and Penn placed third with graduates earning $102,860 that year.

A 2018 study conducted by SmartAsset also examined the highest average starting salaries for graduates from Pennsylvania colleges with Carnegie Mellon University at number one and Penn trailing at number two. 

Idaho had the lowest earning graduates in America, according to Zippia. Brigham Young University-Idaho is the college with the highest earning graduates in Idaho with students earning $49,400 on average, according to Newsweek.